First electric car experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I remember our three year old Vectra broke. Crankshaft or something. At least two grand to fix. Vauxhall weren't interested. Last Vauxhall we ever bought and I can't imagine buying another ICE car.
Yes the current SDV6 3.0 L fitted to the RRS and my current Discovery can go ping as well on the crankshaft. It’s a lot more than £2k to fix !! However it might still be cheaper than a new battery for a Tesla :laugh:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Was out walking the dog last night and bumped into a couple of fellow dog walkers , we got into the subject of EVs amongst other things. One of them mentioned Tesla has a warehouse of used batteries it hasn’t quite worked out what to do with and a BMW was mentioned owned by someone they knew that was going to cost a small fortune to repair as the battery had packed in, no warranty on it as only guaranteed for 12months?? Can only assume a used car of a certain age ?
Granted probably an isolated case but it does underline the whole issue of used EVs? Fossil fuel engines can be repaired fairly easily , even a chewed 3.0l V6 LR diesel :ohmy: at a hell of lot less than a battery .
There’s electric cars and there are hybrid electric cars. Some hybrids are a “ box ticking “ exercise with a pitifully small battery and are more of a place holder while the traditional manufacturers learn to adapt. A company such as Tesla with no entrenched car manufacturing methodology can start with a clean sheet and doesn’t have the potential “ but we’ve always done it that way “ mindset.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
There’s electric cars and there are hybrid electric cars. Some hybrids are a “ box ticking “ exercise with a pitifully small battery and are more of a place holder while the traditional manufacturers learn to adapt. A company such as Tesla with no entrenched car manufacturing methodology can start with a clean sheet and doesn’t have the potential “ but we’ve always done it that way “ mindset.
I’m aware been discussed already , however the example I mention is real. I’m very sceptical of the whole thing to be honest . Sure it will all iron out as they say . Fossil fuel cars are here for a long time yet !

Nebulous

Guru
Nissan Leaf arrived at 6:40 yesterday, before I went to work. Unfortunately I was working a long day and didn't get to try it until today. 77 miles took the battery from 84% to 24%. It was a cold day, 7 degrees, and I probably fiddled too much with electrical equipment such as heated seats. It was quite scary to see the gauge go down.

Very nice to drive though, lots of aids, such as all round cameras.

Nissan Leaf arrived at 6:40 yesterday, before I went to work. Unfortunately I was working a long day and didn't get to try it until today. 77 miles took the battery from 84% to 24%. It was a cold day, 7 degrees, and I probably fiddled too much with electrical equipment such as heated seats. It was quite scary to see the gauge go down.

Very nice to drive though, lots of aids, such as all round cameras.
Took me a year to find out I had a heated steering wheel...

I haven't got round to reading the manual yet - how do you switch it on?
I've not read the manual either but there's a button by your right knee.
Ironically the steering wheel blocks me from seeing it.

I wouldn't be using any heating elements if the range drops 60% drop in just 77miles.
That's is just so poor!
Why Neill - where are you going ?

Nobody bats an eyelid when ICE cars don't return the MPG they're quoted at.

I reckon I could get quite close to the leaf range if driven carefully.

We've had ours for over a year and only charged away from home about 4 times. Why buy a car for that one long trip you make when the remaining 99.9% of journeys are well within range ?

Tenkaykev

Guru
Interesting and predictable that Tesla are transitioning to LiFePo battery chemistry. Although there’s a drop in initial range in the early years, the extended battery life, safer chemistry and ability to cope with harsher charge / discharge cycles will make this the dominant chemistry for the vast majority of vehicles.

Why Neill - where are you going ?

Nobody bats an eyelid when ICE cars don't return the MPG they're quoted at.

I reckon I could get quite close to the leaf range if driven carefully.

We've had ours for over a year and only charged away from home about 4 times. Why buy a car for that one long trip you make when the remaining 99.9% of journeys are well within range ?

I regularly do 150 mile journeys with no provision to off street charge before I return.
I could do 77mpg on a gallon if I slip-streamed wagons like the electric cars I see (but that is way too dangerous).
Maybe you live close to everything, have you thought of cycling instead? I could move nearer one destination but then I'd be further from another regular destination so then I'd need to hope to charge on route. Doesn't work for me, not that I could afford to scrap a good car and buy a hugely (and having to be manufactured) expensive beast.
I cycle lots, I drive relatively few journeys - just that those few are long, I have a caravan but no electric car could get that more than one county away, should I scrap that even though that also is serviceable?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Interesting and predictable that Tesla are transitioning to LiFePo battery chemistry. Although there’s a drop in initial range in the early years, the extended battery life, safer chemistry and ability to cope with harsher charge / discharge cycles will make this the dominant chemistry for the vast majority of vehicles.
I expect more developments hence I would not rush in right now .

gzoom

Über Member
I expect more developments hence I would not rush in right now .

You do realise LiFePo batteries aren't BETTER!!

They have less energy density, need more discharge heat management. The reason Tesla is using them more is because they are CHEAPER!! (So higher profit margins for Tesla).

Can you guess the battery technology Tesla is using in their most powerful, £130k+ Plaid cars?? May be latest cells in 4680 format like those found in the 3/Y? Maybe LiFePo chemistry?? Nope but Cells using the same 18650 format and chemistry as the original Model S made in 2011.

So if you want heavier, worse performing batteries interms of thermal discharge performance (but importantly also cheaper) you will be happy with a Model 3/Y using LiFePo cells, but if you want the latest and best Model S/X, for £130k+ Tesla are still using the same battery technology from 2011 ;).

Last edited:
Top Bottom