First electric car experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
They export their oil to countries that haven't made the transition to EVs and use this money to subsidise their own transition

Colombian drug lords anyone. :laugh:

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member
Norway really does have it worked out, am now just starting to look into AirB&B accommodation for road trip next summer there in the EV.

The views (and cost) of some places are frankly unbelievable, this place comes out at just over £100/person per night. Other places with a slightly worse view are half the price. £100/night in the UK currently gets you a Premier Inn at best usually with a few of the car park :laugh:.

d9948513-22e7-47dc-a852-1cd53e585696.jpg

Tenkaykev

Guru
Interesting news item on yesterdays BBC news. About Norways super reliance on oil . Massive tax incentives for EV vehicles but oil is the massive employer in the country. A conundrum that needs solved !
There’s a lot of focus on oil as a source of Petrol/ Diesel for vehicular use, often forgetting it’s usefulness as a base for other products.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Was out walking the dog last night and bumped into a couple of fellow dog walkers , we got into the subject of EVs amongst other things. One of them mentioned Tesla has a warehouse of used batteries it hasn’t quite worked out what to do with and a BMW was mentioned owned by someone they knew that was going to cost a small fortune to repair as the battery had packed in, no warranty on it as only guaranteed for 12months?? Can only assume a used car of a certain age ?
Granted probably an isolated case but it does underline the whole issue of used EVs? Fossil fuel engines can be repaired fairly easily , even a chewed 3.0l V6 LR diesel :ohmy: at a hell of lot less than a battery .

Was out walking the dog last night and bumped into a couple of fellow dog walkers , we got into the subject of EVs amongst other things. One of them mentioned Tesla has a warehouse of used batteries it hasn’t quite worked out what to do with and a BMW was mentioned owned by someone they knew that was going to cost a small fortune to repair as the battery had packed in, no warranty on it as only guaranteed for 12months?? Can only assume a used car of a certain age ?
Granted probably an isolated case but it does underline the whole issue of used EVs? Fossil fuel engines can be repaired fairly easily , even a chewed 3.0l V6 LR diesel :ohmy: at a hell of lot less than a battery .
Which prompted me to look for information on recycling the Lithium cells. This article is interesting but may now be somewhat dated. Describes some of the challenges in the recycling process.

https://cen.acs.org/materials/energy-storage/time-serious-recycling-lithium/97/i28

JhnBssll

Veteran
The original CTO of Tesla quit to launch a start-up concentrating on lithium battery recycling. He saw the gap in the market and appears to be making the most of it, winning lucrative contracts with several major brands. The company is called Redwood Materials if anyone is interested in having a Google :okay:

Well this sounds like rubbish. BMW have a 6 year warranty on batteries.

EV batteries are just a lot of small cells linked together. There are loads of uses for them. Find any duds and replace and you have a reconditioned battery. Or use the battery as storage for home or industrial use.

Break it down to form a battery for a classic car EV conversion.

I don't think this bloke knows what he's talking about.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Well this sounds like rubbish. BMW have a 6 year warranty on batteries.

BMW have been making EVs for a while now no ? 6yr ago is only the end of 2015 ? The car I was told cost £18k so I assume second hand so yes it’s credible that the battery could have packed in ? I’d say it very credible but maybe an isolated case but a horrible one to have !!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
The original CTO of Tesla quit to launch a start-up concentrating on lithium battery recycling. He saw the gap in the market and appears to be making the most of it, winning lucrative contracts with several major brands. The company is called Redwood Materials if anyone is interested in having a Google :okay:
I have and I’m still no further informed in what they actually do ? Fancy website and bollocks about periodic tables :laugh: of which I’m familiar with but what are they actually doing with the materials are they doing anything ??

BMW have been making EVs for a while now no ? 6yr ago is only the end of 2015 ? The car I was told cost £18k so I assume second hand so yes it’s credible that the battery could have packed in ? I’d say it very credible but maybe an isolated case but a horrible one to have !!
I remember our three year old Vectra broke. Crankshaft or something. At least two grand to fix. Vauxhall weren't interested. Last Vauxhall we ever bought and I can't imagine buying another ICE car.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I have and I’m still no further informed in what they actually do ? Fancy website and bollocks about periodic tables :laugh: of which I’m familiar with but what are they actually doing with the materials are they doing anything ??

I read a Forbes article which states he won't share details of their proprietary methods but they currently profitably recycle 20,000 tons of batteries per year and that the end result of their process is seperated raw materials for resale. They're gaining investment to scale up. What it doesn't mention is the energy usage of their proprietary method and whether that undermines the benefit of the EV :laugh:

Anyway, my EV is due by end November so that's pretty exciting :okay::laugh:

Regarding cost of repairs, my 5yr old diesel cost me nearly £5k to fix earlier this year and then the DPF failed - I sold it on at a loss knowing it needed another £2k spending on it. A new Tesla battery pack costs £12k now and prices are falling - it won't be long until repair costs are fairly equivalent.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I read a Forbes article which states he won't share details of their proprietary methods but they currently profitably recycle 20,000 tons of batteries per year and that the end result of their process is seperated raw materials for resale. They're gaining investment to scale up. What it doesn't mention is the energy usage of their proprietary method and whether that undermines the benefit of the EV :laugh:

Anyway, my EV is due by end November so that's pretty exciting :okay::laugh:

Regarding cost of repairs, my 5yr old diesel cost me nearly £5k to fix earlier this year and then the DPF failed - I sold it on at a loss knowing it needed another £2k spending on it. A new Tesla battery pack costs £12k now and prices are falling - it won't be long until repair costs are fairly equivalent.
I’m sure costs will come down , which may come in time for me !

Top Bottom