First ever Club Run in the morning......nervous !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
All this x miles @y mph seems a bit willy waving to me I'm afraid, I thought this was meant to be fun

Ah, no willy to wave!!!! Means I need to prepare even further before braving a club or say 'sod the lot' and just go!

On that note, I'll just top up my wineglass to increase my confidence (until I sober up!)

Ozzrahog

Ah, no willy to wave!!!! Means I need to prepare even further before braving a club or say 'sod the lot' and just go!

On that note, I'll just top up my wineglass to increase my confidence (until I sober up!)

Coming in from the cold today I want sure I had any thing to wave :cold:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
There are three main clubs within easy reach of mine - the uber fast road club, the Wheelers in the next town up and a more social, ride n chat group. It works nicely, covering all interests, and many people are members of more than one.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I was thinking the same - I couldn't even keep up with the slow groups nominal pace.

I'm demoralised now!
Get like that a bit myself. Was just looking at some of the Strava segments around my area and the times seem totally mindblowing. There's a couple of females who even leave the majority of the guys trailing. Can't even begin to get my head round some of their times and distances.

Peteaud

Veteran
There are three main clubs within easy reach of mine - the uber fast road club, the Wheelers in the next town up and a more social, ride n chat group. It works nicely, covering all interests, and many people are members of more than one.

The wheelers are too fast for me, whats the other 2?

jay clock

Massive member
Re all the willy waggling etc, I can understand the comments. I lead a ride each Sunday and by being explicit people know exactly what to expect. They can go and time themselves over a measured route and see how they fare. Any clubs are welcome to copy what I say which is
Pace: I am training for Ironman Switzerland where the training plan specifies time in the saddle. I do not wish to have to go slower or faster than we can do comfortably as it is hard on all concerned. If you are much faster than us feel free to zoom off but you will quickly be on your own! If you do not feel you can keep up with the pace we set (we are pretty average!) we feel it only fair to point out that you may be better to organise a slower ride. Print a map out if you have any concerns about being dropped (or zooming ahead!) I am confident we can predict the time pretty well. Average is 23-24kmh, slow and hilly drops this back to about 21-22kmh, on odd occasions it might get to 25-26kmh average with a following wind. That might sound slow, but in a race it is closer to 28-30 over 90 or 180km so I must be doing something right.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
All this x miles @y mph seems a bit willy waving to me I'm afraid, I thought this was meant to be fun

What are you on about? It is a guide so people know what to expect. If there was no guide you would turn up with some expectations, others turn up with others, and the ride leader will have their own, the next thing you know is people are going missile mode off of the front, others are being dropped like stones and the core group ends up getting smaller and smaller. Everyone gets home thinking "this lot are tossers, dropped me within 2 mile" others get home thinking "ffs, so damn slow" etc. If there is a rough speed guide people know what to expect, roughly so they can make a decision if it is within their ability range or indeed if it fits in with what they want to do on that day.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Could be.

Or it could be that mentioning an estimated avg speed might give potential new members an indication as to the suitability of the groups?

Agreed. Also, it's often people who aren't in clubs who 'willy wave'. I've yet to meet a fellow racer who bangs on about how fast he/she can go...

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Is it fun getting dropped by a group who are paced to ride 22mph avg and you're only capable of 15mph avg?

I'm assuming you've never rode in a group,or with a club(most clubs roll multiple groups to suit all paces) to make such ill-informed comments.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
If you are able to stay in the group the speeds are not as high as they sound, as long as you are not in the first 2/3 stay low and in the draft just don't suddenly think you have the legs to lead for a bit :-)

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Have you checked out Tyne Vagabonds

http://www.tynevags.org.uk/

Yeah thanks, to be honest it was a toss up which club i initially contacted & obviously i went for Gosforth, funnily enough on our ride on Saturday i was briefly in the middle of the Vagabonds group until it was pointed out i was following the wrong group & was encouraged to fly by them....would'nt care but they seemed to be going at a much better pace for me :sad:

I may well try my luck with them in the future.

Top Bottom