First ever Club Run in the morning......nervous !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Nice one Pheonix, enjoy your day & remember to report back :thumbsup:

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
Was it public? Doesn't count if nobody saw. :thumbsup:

Nobody did, but I still want to count it or I'll need another one.

Really proud that I didn't have to call lovely hubby to scoop me up, I adjusted my saddle back to the correct angle (it wasn't facing forwards) with my new cycle multitool, and work out that the scraping noise was the brakes on my front wheel and sort that out and I didn't make a hole in my trousers (although I did spring a leak from my knee and get a bruise on my hip)

;)

Pedal pusher

Veteran
I also have my first ever club run tomorrow. Very nervous and a bit excited. Hope I don't fall off (just got clipless) or be too slow. It's a novice ride so they won't be tanking it along, so fingers crossed it all goes well.

Have a great weekend folks :smile:
Good luck and please post about the experience

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Looking forward to hearing the tale to follow.

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
Well, it was lovely really. There was just one 'official' with us, and he assured us nobody would be 'dropped'. There were 5 newbies to the group, although one was a very experienced cyclist accompanying his son for moral support, and one guy who was really too good to be with us slowies, but everybody was lovely.

The leader sent the guys off on a slightly longer loop a few times, to meet up with us further down the road so that was good for them and good that we didn't feel we were holding them back (not that anybody made us feel that way).

It was really windy and he showed us how to 'draught' a bit to help, and showed us hand signals to point out pot holes (of which there are many in Lincs) and kept slowing down and speeding up,to get a chance to check we were all ok and talk to us.

He had previously emailed a vague idea of route and cycling speed, but had said that was dependent upon who turned up for the ride today.

I had a 'clipless' pulling up to a junction (didn't forget to unclip just couldn't release either one on the way to the stop) and everybody was lovely about it saying how they do it too sometimes, and luckily it was onto the grass verge, then almost had another when is got the left unclipped fine, but a gust of wind nearly blew me to the right and it was a 'oooooooo' then a lean to the left (we all laughed).

Since getting home, I've even had an email from him with his garmin route of our ride, which is a lovely idea. Not been able to see it yet, as I think I have to use a computer rather than ipad.

I asked how often these novice runs take place and he said approximately monthly, which is great, plenty of time for solo rides to work on my speed, stamina, etc, and get used to group work when they next go out.

Although I felt nervous at the start, everybody else was in the same boat, and we had a lovely time.

Got home, had a bath, got dressed, went out for lunch, and now it's about nap time!

All in all, I'm very pleased I went. I think if I'd been on my own I may have come home sooner than planned due to that awful swirling wind, so that's a really positive point too.

Also, at no point did he start hassling anybody to officially join the club, he didn't even ask whether we had joined or not (two had, two <me included> hadn't, and the dad is already a member elsewhere).

Happy bunny (apart for having another clipless moment outside my house - another bruise for the collection and I hurt my thumb)

Hope any other newbies feel inspired to join a novice ride, there is no way I would have been able to go out with the main group, so this is a lovely introduction.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend folks

:smile:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I had a 'clipless' pulling up to a junction (didn't forget to unclip just couldn't release either one on the way to the stop) and everybody was lovely about it saying how they do it too sometimes, and luckily it was onto the grass verge, then almost had another when is got the left unclipped fine, but a gust of wind nearly blew me to the right and it was a 'oooooooo' then a lean to the left (we all laughed).
Told you :thumbsup:

Glad you had a good time :biggrin:

Pedal pusher

Veteran
Hats off to you sounds like a great day:bravo: . I'm about to go clipless so interesting to read about your "moment" do you think everything is adjusted right? I only ask so I don't make the same mistake

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
Hats off to you sounds like a great day:bravo: . I'm about to go clipless so interesting to read about your "moment" do you think everything is adjusted right? I only ask so I don't make the same mistake

Probably not, but I thought I'd got the pedal adjustment as loose as possible last night. Got a bike fit tomorrow (über-excited) so hope anything that's wrong will be put right

Edit - Sorry, smile fell off :smile:

Top Bottom