First ever puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Spare tubes come in two valve types, car tyre style presta and racing style Schrader. Valves come in different lengths, longer ones for wheel rims with deep sections.

***correction valve names are opposite way around****
Don't use an
overly long valve, it is easier to lever sideways and cause damage.
Buy at least 2 spare tubes as well as a repair kit and necessary tools. Carry one spare if you don't want to walk home, and carry the repair kit for a 2nd puncture.
Your spare spare is useful if you dont have the time and inclination to fix or if it can't be fixed. I used to keep a spare spare in my desk drawer at work as well as home.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you go to halfords, there is a wheel with nails pushed right into it all the way around, but with no puncture. Its great
Ah, but what happens when you pull the nails out ?:whistle:.

figbat

Slippery scientist
nothing...u dont get a puncture...thats the point
u can get punctures with just tubeless
It works both ways. You can get punctures with slime tubes too - a friend I ride with had one last year that didn't seal and simply led to a messy tyre, wheel and self and the need to scrounge a tube from someone else to complete the ride.

I've yet to get a ride-stopping puncture on tubeless since I converted a few years ago. However I have witnessed them, but the frequency is orders of magnitude less than with tubes. I get that tubeless is a faff to set up but the payback is long. Otherwise a tough tyre and regular tube will probably cover most light-duty needs.

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

Here is the fix, I pumped up the tube to see if it held and the patch gave way, so I added another, then another so now there are 3 !

I don't know if there is a knack to this, but this was an impulse basket drop at the Asda bike section "Deluxe puncture repair kit".
I have no idea if its any use (I have another repair kit on order from Halfords), but this was to just get me playing about with the procedure today. They are just adhesive type patches, no glue, press and hold.

Also, the tyre states up to 50-100psi, when I am pumping this up, it feels like its going to burst at 40psi - is this normal? I can't see it getting up to 80+ psi. I will replace this one when my new ones are ready from Halfords (they send SMS when ready) but this was basically a dummy run.

IMG_0275.jpeg

figbat

Slippery scientist
It should take the higher pressure, but if you have a pump that is not suitable it'll be tricky to achieve. MTB-focussed pumps usually shift more volume but road-aimed pumps create higher pressure.

MonsterEnergy

May as well just go tubeless IMHO. Same outcome, less weight. And you can carry a tube in case, for any reason, the tubeless setup fails (never happened to me yet but it does happen).
thats what im trying to say......going tubeless only makes it smoother....You could still get a puncture by just going tubeless

berlinonaut

Veteran
Also, the tyre states up to 50-100psi, when I am pumping this up, it feels like its going to burst at 40psi - is this normal? I can't see it getting up to 80+ psi.
Have you mounted the tube back into the tire when pumping or been pumping the tube solo? If you try to reach 80PSI on a tube that is not within a tire it WILL burst. :rolleyes: Within a tire 40PSI is not much at all (if the tire is mounted onto a wheel, just to make sure :angel:).

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom