First ever puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
thats what im trying to say......going tubeless only makes it smoother....You could still get a puncture by just going tubeless

I went tubeless in 2006. Had 3 punctures since. Think that’s an acceptable rate.

I happened apon a fella a while ago standing looking at his phone with no signal, when I asked him if he needed help he pointed to the several inch wide tear in his tubeless setup, ain’t no tube or patch gonna fix that bad boy and the nearest landline was in the pub six miles away down a very steep hill.

not a puncture related story but more on the being prepared when out riding, I rarely go off road mostly because my MTB skills are terrible. Nevertheless I decided to go off-road proper and sure enough had a low speed fall onto my knee, only when I stood up I could see my kneecap through the cut. Fell onto flint covered muddy trail which cut through me like a hot knife through butter, 10 miles from a road and no mobile signal I needed my spare inner tube and an arm warmer to stop the bleeding.

moral of the story tubeless or otherwise always carry a spare tube oh and a field dressing if you go mtb’ing

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I happened apon a fella a while ago standing looking at his phone with no signal, when I asked him if he needed help he pointed to the several inch wide tear in his tubeless setup, ain’t no tube or patch gonna fix that bad boy and the nearest landline was in the pub six miles away down a very steep hill.

not a puncture related story but more on the being prepared when out riding, I rarely go off road mostly because my MTB skills are terrible. Nevertheless I decided to go off-road proper and sure enough had a low speed fall onto my knee, only when I stood up I could see my kneecap through the cut. Fell onto flint covered muddy trail which cut through me like a hot knife through butter, 10 miles from a road and no mobile signal I needed my spare inner tube and an arm warmer to stop the bleeding.

moral of the story tubeless or otherwise always carry a spare tube oh and a field dressing if you go mtb’ing

That can’t be the moral of the story as you said a tube would not fix a gash several inches long. In a tubed setup you would also have a gash several inches long in the tube.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They are just adhesive type patches, no glue, press and hold.
Most glueless patches will struggle if the puncture is near a prominent seam/ridge on the tube. Most also won't stick well on the edge of another patch. If one doesn't work, remove it and try again, but the tube may be junk. I view them as a short-term get-you-home quick fix. Holding them down to heat them up for 30 seconds or so helps.

As others have mentioned, you can't safely pump a tube alone much over 25psi. Put it in the tyre.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Spare tubes come in two valve types, car tyre style presta and racing style Schrader.
Not quite. Wise people use Woods valves: Schrader-size hole in the rim, presta-size pump attachment, plus a valve that only ever lets air in. The core is unscrewed if you ever want to deflate.

Rest seems good, though.

CXRAndy

Guru
I run 38mm Schwalbe G Ones. I run pressure for my weight of 50 psi rear 45 front. I will let them drop to 45/40 before they feel too squidgy.

At those pressures its like riding on marshmallows:biggrin:

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

When the new tubes come, I'm going to replace and keep that one as an emergency spare/last port of call if I ever need to call on it as a spare for a wee ride. This is part of the whole revamp on this FOC bike, and as a noob I am discovering new things every single day.

There are so many things that you don't know about in this game, I had absolutely no idea it was so in-depth, going from not seeing an inner tube since I was about 12 (now 44!) to thinking about new bar tape ! how it can grasp you !

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

I don’t like Continental tubes personally. Ignore the C, you need a 700 tube that covers the 32 bit, eg https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...presta-inner-tube---700c-x-23-32c-525334.html they come nearly packed too 👍 (assume you have the long skinny presta valves not the schrader car type ones if that’s your bike in avatar) 4 for £10 is a bargain :smile:

get yourself some of these while you’re at it
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...e-reinforced-bike-tyre-levers-x-3-220160.html

I collected both of these today my friend, excellent tubes, look to fit better than what was on there and I managed to pump up to 90PSI....

ChrisEyles

Guru
Got visited by the fairy today out in the woods on my MTB.

Swapped out the tube for a fresh one after removing the offending thorn. Only takes ten minutes max with a bit of practice. Will patch the old tube tomorrow - it's already got nine patches on!

I've used slime in inner tubes before and found it's actually pretty good at sealing small gorse or bramble prickles. Then one day I decided I should pick them all out of the tyre, which promptly deflated despite the slime :laugh:

AidenL

Great, that's exactly what I needed!
Do you also have a preference on a multi-tool which can be slipped into the saddle bag?
Would you say that these are the minimum things you need to take on rides:
1) Pump
2) Repair Kit
3) Spare Tube
4) Multi-Tool

.....and yes, I've been out riding with nothing !!
So have I. I’m absorbing this thread with interest.

If I'm riding more than a couple of miles I ALWAYS take a spare tube and patch kit, they live in a front pocket in my backpack, or in a pouch in my panniers depending on the bike so I don't have to think about it, and virtually no chance of forgetting. If I'm out on a 15 mile + leisure ride I'll take a second tube, if I'm not carrying a backpack or panniers, I'll pop them in a little saddle bag. However since changing to tubeless, I've only had one ride ending flat, but that's because I got lazy and didn't top up the sealant, the manufacturer recommends once every 3 months, I went 9 :whistle:. I would have fitted a tube but it was minus 5 and freezing rain at the time. Lesson learned.

Top Bottom