First ever puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plastic_cyclist

Happened today, 15 miles in, absolutely unprepared, no tools on board whatsoever, a long, lonely walk back !

So, as a total rookie, is it better to replace the tube or repair the puncture? Hell, I don't even know if it even has a tube !
Also, what and how do you store a pump / tools on the bike when riding?

vickster

Legendary Member
Happened today, 15 miles in, absolutely unprepared, no tools on board whatsoever, a long, lonely walk back !

So, as a total rookie, is it better to replace the tube or repair the puncture? Hell, I don't even know if it even has a tube !
Replace the tube on the road, fix the punctured one at home if repairable.
The pump can be carried on bike under bottle cage, other tools and 2 spare tubes in saddle bag, pannier, bar bag, even a pocket.
Lesson learned the hard way unfortunately :sad:

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

So, where do you guys generally buy your spare tubes from? The tyre wall states "Specialized Borough" 700 x 32C (32-622)
I take it 700 is the nominal diameter of the tyre (in millimetres) and 38 is the width of the tyre, but what is the C ??
And do you buy the tube based on 700 x 32C alone ?

Only 15 miles? You were lucky!! My first puncture was in a different country! ^_^

Whether repairing or replacing the tube check, double check and triple check the tyre for whatever caused the puncture! Running a ball of cotton wool along the inside of the tyre will show up most Invaders no matter how small.

This is a great time to check out YouTube for repair resources. Great for practising with at home and a source of many hints and tips. ^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
So, where do you guys generally buy your spare tubes from? The tyre wall states "Specialized Borough" 700 x 32C (32-622)
I take it 700 is the nominal diameter of the tyre (in millimetres) and 38 is the width of the tyre, but what is the C ??
I don’t like Continental tubes personally. Ignore the C, you need a 700 tube that covers the 32 bit, eg https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...presta-inner-tube---700c-x-23-32c-525334.html they come nearly packed too 👍 (assume you have the long skinny presta valves not the schrader car type ones if that’s your bike in avatar) 4 for £10 is a bargain :smile:

get yourself some of these while you’re at it
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...e-reinforced-bike-tyre-levers-x-3-220160.html

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

Great, that's exactly what I needed!
Do you also have a preference on a multi-tool which can be slipped into the saddle bag?
Would you say that these are the minimum things you need to take on rides:
1) Pump
2) Repair Kit
3) Spare Tube
4) Multi-Tool

.....and yes, I've been out riding with nothing !!

figbat

Slippery scientist
Great, that's exactly what I needed!
Do you also have a preference on a multi-tool which can be slipped into the saddle bag?
Would you say that these are the minimum things you need to take on rides:
1) Pump
2) Repair Kit
3) Spare Tube
4) Multi-Tool

.....and yes, I've been out riding with nothing !!
You’ll need two tyre levers too. I usually have a quick link for fixing a broken chain and a multi-tool that has a chain tool on it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I buy mine from the local bike shop.

The key numbers are the 32-622. 32mm width, 622mm diameter where it attaches. You can buy on that alone.

The 700 and the C come from an old French size, 700C, which was 622mm across but 39mm tall, making the tyre 700mm across the outside. 700x32C is a widely-used nonsense, pretty much. Don't worry about it, but take it as a lesson that old tyre sizes make no sense and the ww-ddd size type is safer.

MonsterEnergy

I normally have a small cycling rucksack that i store my phone, and spare inner tube, and pump in there. The other day, i recently got slime in my tyres so hopefully will never get punctures again.
Highly recommended.

Top Bottom