First ever ride on an Ebike today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi,
Well I've seen them and I've heard all the hype about them but I've never ridden one until today.I went out for 30 mile ride on my road bike today to burn some lard off and enjoy the sunny weather when by chance I came across a couple of old school friends.There both brothers and were armed with some rather expensive E bikes.They said they paid around 5k each for these bikes.
After alot of banter whilst cycling along ,we had to have the mandatory mini race.It was two expensive MTB Ebike v/s me on road bike.Wow they certainly had a fair turn of speed.Accelerating I was outpaced but I got the better of them when the speed increased..
After all that exhertion the bikes did the usual normal thing ,by the steering locking up to the left and throwing us into the beer garden.
I cheekily ask if I could have a quick go.
After a quick blast round,I can now see the great appeal to them.I few gentle pedal strokes and it felt like I was in a full sprint.Where I live there are some serious hills heading into the darkest of Wales and only imagine these bikes would make these places more accessible.I think I could even tackle the allegedly steepest street in the world in Harlech on one of these

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
TBH with my nacked hip I'm considering selling all my bikes and keeping only the ebikes and the folder. What's the point of hanging on to bikes im likely to never ride again?

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
My dad's the same Drago.He had a hip replacement year's ago and it didn't go to plan.The bone split apart when they put the ball into it and they ended up wiring up the split bone.Its never been right from day one ,but he's like an old Jack Russell that hides it's pain.He loves his cycling but he just can't bare the pain of a conventional bike.The pressure on his hip would leave him in agony.He sold it on and bought an Ebike and he can now enjoy cycling again.He now just spin the peddles lightly and cracks along with out putting too much pressure on his hip ,but at the same time the gentle spinning keeps his joints mobile.He,s no spring chicken any more but he can still pack a few good miles in a day

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've got a very cheap ebike - front rear hub motor, about 30k of range.
Last spring I hired a mid-drive eMTB in the Picos de Europa. Fantastic fun, even if I couldn't get up the Covadongas climb, which is basically like Alpe d'Huez only a bit steeper and hotter.

Last edited:
I've started seriously considering getting an emtb. I borrowed Kona hardtail emtb from my son's girlfriend and did 3 rides on it. Up until then I'd always resisted the thought but I'm now 76 and still regularly riding trails and a lot of singletrack. I've been finding the effort of riding up to the top again in order to get in another downhill run more and more daunting. I can still get up them and maybe the problem is more mental than physical but....
Anyway I rode the borrowed emtb in three different locations.... the Surrey Hills, Swinley and Tunnel Hill Deepcut. What a revelation. The hills were actually great fun and enjoyable in themselves, not just "a means to and end". The bike handled well despite it being a little too small for me and being a hardtail as opposed to the full suss I usually ride. I never found the extra weight any problem.
I can see that with one I would be riding a lot more technical trails as getting back up to the top is so much easier. It would also encourage me to explore some areas more as taking a wrong turn and losing height would no longer be an obstacle.
So.... I'll probably end up going that route if I can sneak another bike in.

yeah Wifey & I fell in love with them while visiting family on Martha's Vineyard. we didn't have access to a car. they let us visit some favorite spots that would normally be out of reach by regular bikes. it was the kind you pedal, but can push a simple button to make you feel like there was no hill or you were 30 years younger. we love the button! they had a "hybrid" style form factor. definitely in our future as we age

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
It's been nearly two weeks since I had my first go on one , and I've thinking about it ever since.Been looking around the web and window shopping ,but the price of them, are something that's holding me back.
I quite like the Boardman ADV 8.9e and have read a very informative thread about them here on good old Cycle Chat.
It looks like the ideal bike for me.A road bike that can also tackle the steep Welsh lanes that are somewhat peppered with pots holes ect that adorn my local area.
I asked at work if they participated in the cycle to work scheme but unfortunately they don't, but they did say they would look into it.
According to the Halfords web site it would knock off a whopping £1200 ish if I understand it correctly.
Another way to save some serious money on the Halfords web site ,is to trade in your old bike.I think 25% was stated.
The original bike has to of been purchased from Halfords though.
By coincidence I do have an old Boardman MTB that's never used sitting in the garden shed.It was given to me a good few years ago by my ex brother in law.
From what I understand Boardman bikes are exclusively sold through Halfords so I may be able to trade it in?
The only fly in the ointment is that it has been heavily upgraded by my ex brother in law, so the jury's out as to whether they would accept it.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
It's been nearly two weeks since I had my first go on one , and I've thinking about it ever since.Been looking around the web and window shopping ,but the price of them, are something that's holding me back.
I quite like the Boardman ADV 8.9e and have read a very informative thread about them here on good old Cycle Chat.
It looks like the ideal bike for me.A road bike that can also tackle the steep Welsh lanes that are somewhat peppered with pots holes ect that adorn my local area.
I asked at work if they participated in the cycle to work scheme but unfortunately they don't, but they did say they would look into it.
According to the Halfords web site it would knock off a whopping £1200 ish if I understand it correctly.
Another way to save some serious money on the Halfords web site ,is to trade in your old bike.I think 25% was stated.
The original bike has to of been purchased from Halfords though.
By coincidence I do have an old Boardman MTB that's never used sitting in the garden shed.It was given to me a good few years ago by my ex brother in law.
From what I understand Boardman bikes are exclusively sold through Halfords so I may be able to trade it in?
The only fly in the ointment is that it has been heavily upgraded by my ex brother in law, so the jury's out as to whether they would accept it.

As long as the Boardman MTB is up to 5 years old, you should be able to trade it in - the below is from Halfords' FAQ section (read here)

To be eligible for trade in, you must meet the following criteria:
  • Have a Halfords bike (excluding electric bikes and balance bikes) from one of the following brands: Apollo, Boardman, Carrera, Indi, Pendleton or Voodoo that is up to 5 years old. You can trade in Adults or Kids bikes. Some exclusions apply*

CXRAndy

Guru
Check the exclusions in the terms and conditions, for sneaky get out clauses. Else looks good to buy a new bike and trade it back in the following day.

Top Bottom