First ever wild camping tour ... shall I?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Why not wild camp closer to home? You don't have to go far for a bit if adventure.

woodbutcher

Veteran
You can't leave it at that. Enlighten/educate/shock/thrill us.
C'mon this is a (fairly) civilised forum. Suffice to say that the night l was thinking of was wet and wild and yes l am talking about the weather. having said that the French youths and youthes' s were having an equally fun time. l was crashed out in my bivvy trying to remain invisible !

woodbutcher

Veteran
Why not wild camp closer to home? You don't have to go far for a bit if adventure.
Actually that's not a bad idea, in fact if you are new to the game l suggest you pick a blustery evening with just a hint of rain and practice putting up your tent and getting bedded down without carting wet grass and mud into your sleeping bag , but do this in your own back garden first time round !!

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Did you ever go back ?

Yes, and in a cruel twist of fate, roles were reversed.:sun:

Crankarm

Guru
Hi All

Am seriously considering going off to the Netherlands by myself for a few days with just my bike and a rucksack! Never wild camped before so wanted to hear from anyone who has done this before and maybe in the Netherlands. What essentials do i need to take (apart from cycle tools, food etc), what do i need to consider? My list of essentials is so far:
Sleeping bag, inflatable pillow, beanie hat to keep the head warm at night, toothbrush/paste, wetwipes, portable phone charger, bike lock, pair of trainers (wear when i take cycling shoes off), torch, pair of cycling shorts for each day plus top for each day, hoodie to wear at night, joggers again for nightime.socks of course!

I reckon im missing out obvious essentials. E.g would i need a small camping burner, mini kettle, cup etc for tea,coffee or do I rely on finding a cafe in the morning?!

Am i overthinking this?! Any tips much appreciated.

How big is your rucksack? It would have to be pretty big to get all that stuff in. You haven't mentioned whether you have a tent, tarp or bivvy? It would make for miserable riding too with all that weight on your back. I would get a rear rack and panniers if you don't already have any and possibly front as well depending how willing you are to rough it carrying less stuff. I wouldn't wild camp in the Netherlands too busy. What's wrong with campsites?

robing

Über Member
How are you going to charge your phone if you're wild camping? Take a battery pack or two and maybe consider a solar charger. And ignore what people say about not taking your phone. For me it's essential. I use it for navigation for starters, finding campsites, booking accommodation, ferries, trains etc.

OP
OP
bladesman73

bladesman73

Über Member
How are you going to charge your phone if you're wild camping? Take a battery pack or two and maybe consider a solar charger. And ignore what people say about not taking your phone. For me it's essential. I use it for navigation for starters, finding campsites, booking accommodation, ferries, trains etc.
Yep have a couple of portable chargers. Can also charge phone in coffee shops that have sockets etc..will take euro adapter.

Top Bottom