First ever wild camping tour ... shall I?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You could also look at Couchsurfing or WarmShowers sites for more (free) options. Good idea to be signed up well before your tour, though, as it doesn't make the best impression if you've joined just before you depart.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Hi All

Am seriously considering going off to the Netherlands by myself for a few days with just my bike and a rucksack! Never wild camped before so wanted to hear from anyone who has done this before and maybe in the Netherlands. What essentials do i need to take (apart from cycle tools, food etc), what do i need to consider? My list of essentials is so far:
Sleeping bag, inflatable pillow, beanie hat to keep the head warm at night, toothbrush/paste, wetwipes, portable phone charger, bike lock, pair of trainers (wear when i take cycling shoes off), torch, pair of cycling shorts for each day plus top for each day, hoodie to wear at night, joggers again for nightime.socks of course!

I reckon im missing out obvious essentials. E.g would i need a small camping burner, mini kettle, cup etc for tea,coffee or do I rely on finding a cafe in the morning?!

Am i overthinking this?! Any tips much appreciated.
Yes go cycle camping, we've just done it and didn't think we were up to it. Battery pack for phone/Garmin/lights, no need for a torch, use your front bike light. Two jerseys and 2 shorts, wash one set and hopefully dry by a day later, we were in North Scotland and just about managed, take lighter evening clothes than joggers and hoodie, lightweight trekking trousers and fleece and merino base layers. We also had those light nerdy trekking sandals rather than trainers, we wear mtb trainer style spds anyway that we can walk in fine.

interesting but of the three sites I could see one is closed and the other two won't allow you to use a gas stove.

Unless I have missed something.

I think if you look again you'll see more than 3. At least I do.

As for the fire ban, that's temporary. Those particular sites are located in the forest, or at least very close by, and it has been a bit dry here of late. 36 celcius yeaterday.

The closed site has long beem highlighted for some extreme anti-social behaviour. Such is the way of the world, unfortunately.

Top Bottom