First Family Tour in France - anything important to know?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Brittany, roscoff to not quite morlaix and campsites fully booked up unless you pay €70 per night! Not many campsites and the terrain so far is up and down. I miss Holland!

Any good campsites near v7 or v1 velodysse North of morlaix or North edge of morlaix near the route.

We're not doing too well on distance. It's the ups and downs for our little one 5.5 years is ambitious here. Not sure if we should taxi it a bit away from coast in the hope campsites are frequent and will let us in without ripping us off. Any opinions?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I’d suggest your difficulty is because it’s August with half of Europe on holiday. I would be inclined to accept you’re not being ripped off but that campsite owners are charging peak time prices to ensure their business survives another year - at best campsites probably have three months in which to earn their annual profit.

I’ve been on holidays where the costs have proved to be higher than expected. It’s hard, especially on a budget, but experience tells me the only thing to do is ignore this and get on with enjoying the holiday.

I’m not clear if you’re touring from site to site daily or stopping in one place? How about finding a site you like, pitching for a week and having day rides in the local area. Might be easier on your youngster?

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
For family camping in the summer holidays I would always book in advance. Some sites will be fully booked or have a minimum stay in August.

If traveling by myself I do not book but take the risk of having to ride an additional 15 km or spontaneous wild camping.

alicat

Legendary Member
That sounds a bit rough, @Time Waster.

I might be inclined to try a charm offensive/sob story (this terrain is too ambitious for my five-year old etc) with a campsite that you like the look of and negotiate a discount for a stay of a week or so. Then enjoy the local area.

jay clock

Massive member
I had not realised your child was so young. And Brittany is hilly as f***.

In terms of sites this has proved invaluable to me http://www.camping-municipal.org/bretagne-camping-municipal.htm -not 100% certain it is being updated as the guy sadly died, but a good start. I speak French and cant easily see if it is in English too.

I then cross reference with the site's own website.

If you want me to call any sites, to check, let me know!

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
The campsite we're at now has a flash flood evacuation notice and siren.

Funny enough i actually spoke to a bretagne campsite owner who said once inland it's unusual for a campsite to turn away hikers or cyclists. Trouble is we didn't realise the route we were on was so difficult and hilly. I'd say it's almost as hard as Devon North.

Decamped inland and things are more relaxed now.

jay clock

Massive member
The campsite we're at now has a flash flood evacuation notice and siren.

Funny enough i actually spoke to a bretagne campsite owner who said once inland it's unusual for a campsite to turn away hikers or cyclists. Trouble is we didn't realise the route we were on was so difficult and hilly. I'd say it's almost as hard as Devon North.

Decamped inland and things are more relaxed now.
Agreed re Devon vs Brittany......but with the benefit of being abroad

Top Bottom