First Family Tour in France - anything important to know?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
You are correct in looking out for places which are busy with the locals. It used to be worth looking for the Routiers sign but I don’t know if this still applies - it was basically a value for money recognition scheme.

In 40 years of visiting France I’ve never come across the “formula” menu you describe. Every restaurant will offer “Plat du Jour,” dish of the day, sometimes with desert. Depending on where you are you can expect this to cost €12-15. I have never, and given the French approach to food would be surprised by, any “all in” deal which included alcohol.

You possibly need to be aware France has become an increasingly expensive country in recent years. This summer I was really taken aback by some prices. Yes, some products, wine for example, are cheaper than the UK. Fresh food, especially from smaller shops, is more expensive than here** as is much supermarket food of the same type. I don’t know about tinned or packaged food as we rarely buy it.

** the French understand and appreciate food and will pay for it. The Brits, speaking, very broadly don’t which is why our supermarkets are full of rubbish. You’ll see very few fast food outlets and few obese people. All of which proves, to me, our national diet is appalling and contributes significantly to a wide range of health issues. Meal times are an important and respected part of French life.

I would be inclined to picnic at lunchtime on local bread, cheese and fresh produce. Evenings are the time to relax and linger over a meal. France doesn’t really snack as we do.

When eating out be aware it’s very easy to knock up a bill of €20/25 per head. My wife and I have just returned from our annual three week stay with French friends in Nice and Marseille. When we went out alone no matter how hard we tried it was difficult to eat for two for much under €50. We are not extravagant people.

Always check your bill to see if it’s “service compris.” It should be as this means service and taxes are included and is required by law in restaurants. If you want to recognise great service leave cash. French people, in my experience, only leave €2-3 in circumstances when I would expect it to be 10%. I used to think it mean but knowing the generosity of our friends now understand it to be the norm.

In bars sitting at a table should be “service compris” and standing at the bar it’s expected you leave your small change.

Have a great time.
In 40 years of visiting France and living there for 4, I have come across the Formule thousands of times. Usually called a Menu (meaning set menu) as opposed to Carte which means the A la Carte. The Formule often is simpler than the Menu (eg steack frites, dessert, wine)

Top left of this pic shows a typical Formule offering
depositphotos_122981152-stock-photo-typical-french-restaurant.jpg

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Formula or formula? I got that advice from parents who have toured in their van through Normandy, Brittany and further into that corner of France. 3 or 4 weeks at a time. They were the ones who told me about the formule meal deal. They also got one further south visiting relatives that had 5 courses and a bottle of wine or cider included for €15. The ex pat relative said that was exceptional though, most are 3 courses or occasionally 2 with it without alcohol according to my parents.

Routier was mentioned too but they said it's kind of dying out a bit in France, but the busy with trade vehicles is still good apparently. The formule is all about a legal requirement for a good but cheap meal option for the working French. A very good idea I reckon.

The other reason for eating at lunch I got told is that evening meals tend to double in price or nearly double. We do like the idea of a simple bread, meat and cheese lunch too. It'll be a mix of the two I think. Although if it's hot I reckon a lunch in a bar / restaurant with A/C might be more pleasant than out in the sun.

I've fished out son's plastic hat out. We don't really wear them so it might be we have to wear them to get him to. If the fine is that much he's definitely wearing it.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
In 40 years of visiting France and living there for 4, I have come across the Formule thousands of times. Usually called a Menu (meaning set menu) as opposed to Carte which means the A la Carte. The Formule often is simpler than the Menu (eg steack frites, dessert, wine)

Top left of this pic shows a typical Formule offering View attachment 422196

Menu? Yes, seen it many, many times but never described as Formule and never with alcohol included.

I learn a little every day.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Packing up tonight, car almost full. Half day at work then home for bikes and family then off. Hope the traffic isn't bad but expect it will be. M6, M6 toll, M5 and overnight stop. Then Plymouth, faff around doing final pannier pack, bike fettle and shop for missing bits. Car to car park then bikes and family to the nearest hotel to the ferry terminal. Good night's sleep, early start and ferry to France. Then relax because of at haven't got something we can't go back for it. The summer tour has begun for us.

I'm worried since the ferry is due in at 13:30 and I heard most places stop serving food at 2pm. Between 12:00 and 14:00 for lunch servings and not as much outside of that.

jay clock

Massive member
Packing up tonight, car almost full. Half day at work then home for bikes and family then off. Hope the traffic isn't bad but expect it will be. M6, M6 toll, M5 and overnight stop. Then Plymouth, faff around doing final pannier pack, bike fettle and shop for missing bits. Car to car park then bikes and family to the nearest hotel to the ferry terminal. Good night's sleep, early start and ferry to France. Then relax because of at haven't got something we can't go back for it. The summer tour has begun for us.

I'm worried since the ferry is due in at 13:30 and I heard most places stop serving food at 2pm. Between 12:00 and 14:00 for lunch servings and not as much outside of that.
yes, restaurants are tight on times and 1330 to 1400 will be the end. But in Roscoff (I assume) being a port you will find an all day Brasserie I reckon and loads of creperies. Gallettes are the savoury ones, ideal cycling food

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I don’t think you will have a problem with restaurants not serving outside the hours of 12-2.00. It used to be the case but nothing like this today. Yes you’ll find some but not many. If I ran a restaurant near the port in Roscoff I’d have twigged that people using the ferry get hungry!! It’s the holiday season - peak time for making money.

We had three weeks in Nice and Marseille this July. One restaurant didn’t serve us food - it was 4.00pm and the owner explained the staff needed time to relax and eat before the evening started.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Just been looking at places to eat. Opening times seem to be from 12pm to 10pm in the evening if Google is to be believed.

Food sounds nice, I need to stop drooling. They had me at shrimps, various seafood pate and moules frite. Should never Google eating places in France when you're not there to go and eat something!

Yes the ferry does have a very good reputation for food. We'll be eating breakfast on it for sure. 8am ferry so we'll be up early to make it and probably have no food until we're on it. Would be nice to eat when off but probably more practical eating on the ferry. Easier than finding an eateries we like the look of with bikes and 5 year old in tow in a strange place.

At work waiting to be let out. The last day before a holiday is either chaos where you're too busy to even realise there's a holiday coming up or it's boredom not wanting to start anything new you won't finish. The latter gives you time to think about your holiday but it doesn't help because time drags and the holiday feels further and further away as the minutes tick away.

What are your last day / hours at work before the big holiday starts like? Working with a grin or frustrated that you have to be there?

Speaking of food, try rillettes. We liked the duck variety
Ummm, duck rillettes, highly recommended.
looks a bit like a dead rat
Our rats look nothing like this!
A cardiologist will faint at the prospect
Bad for the heart? Nothing a short bike ride cannot balance out!
The British like safe, healthy food.
Like processed burgers, pizzas and chips, crisps, deep fried mars bars and sugary drinks?!
The French like tasty stuff.
Indeed. Care to recommend a non-vile wine to go with the rillettes, Slowmo?

woodbutcher

Veteran
l live in confit de canard, foie grass, rillette, cou de canard farci ...etc etc , heartland of the Lot! Each year l assist my french farming friends to prepare the ducks for making all of the above. The patron of the family died last year aged 92 and he was eating duck and drinking red wine until the end. No heart problems for him.He was not an unusual case, In the Occitane region there are no such people as "dieticians and low fat diets, heaven forbid. So enjoy your time in France, eat, drink and be merry for in several decades time we die^_^

Top Bottom