First Family Tour in France - anything important to know?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Or possibly Breton.
High chance of Breton since that's the area we're visiting. A different type of celtic language to welsh I believe but not too far away from cornish. Will be good to hear it spoken. Although not if they only speak it when a French person walks in like some parts of Wales (with Welsh) to an English person. I like it that the celtic languages still survive and thrives in places.

What about helmets for under 12s is that compulsory?

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Learn a few words of French. They will be appreciated.
I think I need to learn a bit of Breton too. I think that'll go down well in Brittany.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Try anything once! I rather like it.
I liked it, a bit different. Boring if everything was the same, normal sausages are so boring the way they don't explode on first cut!

Had it in Paris. We sat down, started to read the menu (gcse French was adequate) when a waiter came over and ripped the menus out of our hands and gave us a badly translated to English menu instead saying "that's not for you English! Here's your menu!". I then read the English menu and thought the French one made more sense! I nicked the French menu back. I'm alright reading French just useless at speaking it. Never was good at the speaking bit.

You have to try local food in France I think. I'm looking forward to good lunches (formula I think they're called). I've had the heads up to look for a restaurant with a carpark full of vans and trucks. Chances are it's the best place to eat lunch for miles around. Formula = 3 or 4 courses possibly with wine or cidre included for €15 or so. Got to love that. Plan to eat big at lunch and snack at the campsite in the evening.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I wonder how the motorists and French will take to an englishman riding a recumbent. Are they more used to roadies over there?

What are the bike shops like? If I have a mechanical what's my chances of finding a decent bike shop to sort it out. It's Brittany on the velodysse route.

Julia9054

Guru
I wonder how the motorists and French will take to an englishman riding a recumbent. Are they more used to roadies over there?

What are the bike shops like? If I have a mechanical what's my chances of finding a decent bike shop to sort it out. It's Brittany on the velodysse route.
Not sure about Brittany but having ridden on the Loire a Velo route a few times, a recumbent would be very ordinary compared to some of the contraptions I've seen! Lots of bike shops on popular cycling routes. I'm currently in the Perigord Vert - very quiet and rural. On my ride today I have seen far fewer other cyclists than I usually do at home (possibly because it is ridiculously hot rather than unpopular!) and there is still a bike shop about 3km from me!

mike chadwick

Astrobike
I loved France. and the French people , just spent 2 weeks cycling down the Atlantic coast to Spain my
Only gripe is the cost of the French camp sites on or near the coast double the price of Spanish camp sites
And in most cases not as good.
Yes I am aware of the municipal camp sites but these seem to dry up as you get near the coast.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
You have to try local food in France I think. I'm looking forward to good lunches (formula I think they're called). I've had the heads up to look for a restaurant with a carpark full of vans and trucks. Chances are it's the best place to eat lunch for miles around. Formula = 3 or 4 courses possibly with wine or cidre included for €15 or so. Got to love that. Plan to eat big at lunch and snack at the campsite in the evening.

You are correct in looking out for places which are busy with the locals. It used to be worth looking for the Routiers sign but I don’t know if this still applies - it was basically a value for money recognition scheme.

In 40 years of visiting France I’ve never come across the “formula” menu you describe. Every restaurant will offer “Plat du Jour,” dish of the day, sometimes with desert. Depending on where you are you can expect this to cost €12-15. I have never, and given the French approach to food would be surprised by, any “all in” deal which included alcohol.

You possibly need to be aware France has become an increasingly expensive country in recent years. This summer I was really taken aback by some prices. Yes, some products, wine for example, are cheaper than the UK. Fresh food, especially from smaller shops, is more expensive than here** as is much supermarket food of the same type. I don’t know about tinned or packaged food as we rarely buy it.

** the French understand and appreciate food and will pay for it. The Brits, speaking, very broadly don’t which is why our supermarkets are full of rubbish. You’ll see very few fast food outlets and few obese people. All of which proves, to me, our national diet is appalling and contributes significantly to a wide range of health issues. Meal times are an important and respected part of French life.

I would be inclined to picnic at lunchtime on local bread, cheese and fresh produce. Evenings are the time to relax and linger over a meal. France doesn’t really snack as we do.

When eating out be aware it’s very easy to knock up a bill of €20/25 per head. My wife and I have just returned from our annual three week stay with French friends in Nice and Marseille. When we went out alone no matter how hard we tried it was difficult to eat for two for much under €50. We are not extravagant people.

Always check your bill to see if it’s “service compris.” It should be as this means service and taxes are included and is required by law in restaurants. If you want to recognise great service leave cash. French people, in my experience, only leave €2-3 in circumstances when I would expect it to be 10%. I used to think it mean but knowing the generosity of our friends now understand it to be the norm.

In bars sitting at a table should be “service compris” and standing at the bar it’s expected you leave your small change.

Have a great time.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
You can buy tubes of condensed milk in the supermarkets, and, if you've still got enough youth in you, you can hang on street corners and suck out the contents!

Proof that after all my two children may not be mine. Neither of them like condensed milk.

Most of what follows is not 'important to know' but possibly useful nonetheless:
...also in Uzes...
a lovely town
You can buy ludicrously cheap champagne in France. Don't! Even I can tell that it's entirely vile.
cheap champagne is just that, cheap champagne. But it it is not necessarily vile. To base your opinion on a bottle when in Corsica over 30 years ago is a little misleading, Slowmo!
I advise you to try Clairette de Die.
Unlikely to be found in Bretagne! However, a good value champagne alternative that can be found is Crémant, whether it be from Loire, Bourgogne etc

Possibly more useful: find out what day the market is. This is usually a good place to pick up good value fruit and veg., especially if the locals are using it. Returned from Bretagne a couple of weeks back and picked up some ludicrously cheap, delicious, ripe cherries from two different markets.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Priority on roundabouts can vary (at least in some rural areas) between cars entering the roundabout having to give way to those on it having to give way. There are usually no obvious signs to indicate which system is in place.
At roundabouts, you only have to signal your way out, not before you arrive like over here.

jay clock

Massive member
Not my experience at all, the french really appreciate those trying to speak their language. They'll correct you, but that's in the spirit of helping you learn the language, nothing to do with taking the piss, which is alien to the french sense of humour anyway, Jamal excepted.

If you eat a pizza or a kebab in France, you need your head examined.
The pizzas are generally fantastic, particularly from roadside vans. I lived 50km from the Italian border for 3 years and French pizzas were generally better

jay clock

Massive member
Not my experience at all. My French is shitty. Or to put it another way, ma francais est merdie. See?

Are you sure you aren't doing something else to put them off?

I've had a wide range of responses in France, but nothing like you describe. Worst cases, sniffiness or correction with barely concealed distain. I can live that.

Agree, Paris is the worst, but even there if you are polite, open and trying, they will work to understand you.

Also Asian food. Any restaurant that has Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese and Thai on the menu should be avoided.
I am reading this thread and laughing out loud. I lived there for 4 years and the Asian varieties above can vary from the UK versions, but often delicious. I would only agree if it is not an Asian restaurant but has an Asian dish. A bit like a British pub curry (chicken stew with curry powder)

jay clock

Massive member
Priority on roundabouts can vary (at least in some rural areas) between cars entering the roundabout having to give way to those on it having to give way. There are usually no obvious signs to indicate which system is in place.
A contraire, the signs or lack of are very clear. Most are now UK system (give way to people already on the roundabout with dotted lines across the entrance, and a Cedez le Passage sign. If there is no sign and no markings it is right of way to the vehicle entering. Feels bonkers but that is it. Same applies at a crossroads with no signs or markings (just a sign with a big X)

Top Bottom