First Family Tour in France - anything important to know?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Andouillette is a sausage, and it's pork, but probably best not to try it - it is not what you think it is.
Try anything once! I rather like it.

Brandane

Legendary Member
A junction warning sign that looks like an X rather than the + that we are used to in the UK means the upcoming junction is cedez a droit. Be careful and give way to the right.
This in bucketloads. Ignore "priorite a droite" (priority to the right) at your peril! Generally the normal rule in built up areas is that traffic coming from your right has priority over you - unless there are signs or road markings indicating otherwise. This means that when you are going along a seemingly main road, and someone is coming out of a junction on your right - they have priority and they WILL expect you to give way. In rural areas there are usually signs to tell you that "priorite a droite" is not in force.

Worth knowing the signs:

wsi-imageoptim-Priority-On-French-Roads.png

Adam4868

Guru
Just come back from our once a year jaunt to Brittany,we usually go to different campsites every year.This year was Carnac which ive visited before but not stayed at.My partner has a thing for standing stones,so she was happy ! My kids enjoyed the pool and beaches as much as a teenager can.....and I got to ride my bike in the mornings and drink too much wine and cider almost every night.Never really had any problems in all the years weve been going.Enjoy im jelous.

User66445

Priority on roundabouts can vary (at least in some rural areas) between cars entering the roundabout having to give way to those on it having to give way. There are usually no obvious signs to indicate which system is in place.
There are usually give way signs on the roads entering the roundabout, in fact I can't think of many if any that don't have signs. Cars on the roundabout giving way to those entering are rarities, and again usually clearly marked.

Remember, when in doubt, give way to the right. A lot of the smaller roads aren't preceded by a sign, and some towns have dropped a lot of their give way or stops because they think it makes traffic flow more smoothly. Either that, or they're employed by insurance companies.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
When driving abroad I always make the rule “when in doubt give way” regardless of which direction the traffic is coming from.

User66445

PaulSB "When driving abroad I always make the rule “when in doubt give way” regardless of which direction the traffic is coming from."

Then you make a mistake. If you give way to a car on the left, you will merely cause confusion.

Last edited:

StuartG

slower but further
They speak French
Unfortueately not the same way as I do!

Re Prioriy a Droite I've not had a problem about when to give way. Don't look for the signs - look at the driver. A driver with priority has a destiny and you ain't part of it. Easy to spot that look if you have cycled in the UK.

More of a problem is when YOU have priority. Its often counter-intuitive that this big truck or speedy car is going to stop just for you. But they do. What they don't like is if you end up dithering too much. Overall France (not Paris which is another country) is superb for cycling. Almost perfect road surfaces, usually given lots of space by overtaking vehicles and they will patiently follow you when there isn't. Its the British tourists you need to watch out for!

Remember cycling is merely the method of getting from a bar-tabac to a restaurant and back again while conveniently reducing the calories and alchol taken on board. Neverthless anything short of the Tour de France is a failure if you don't come back heavier than you went ...

Oh and take a prepay credit card or that Halifax thingy so you can use ATMs and pay for stuff without being ripped off by our Banks with their imaginative rates and fees.

Top Bottom