First Family Tour in France - anything important to know?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

User66445

No, not really. They do get sick of tourists coming up to them and demanding to know the way to Sacre Coeur, in English, without even a polite "Bonjour" to start. I know, I experienced just that living close to that tourist Mecca. You should always start with a "Bonjour", not to do so is rude.

Waiters, on the other hand, can appear that way, but that depends on the area of Paris. They do expect respect, though, and, if you're English, Canadian, or American, large tips. All other countries just round up to the nearest euro.

Then they can just take the piss, After a rescent ride to Paris, the guy i was riding with spoke pretty good french, but the French all seem to have a chip on there shoulder, there are a few french who will be helpful. But i will not be going back, Belgium is the place to ride.
Not my experience at all. My French is shitty. Or to put it another way, ma francais est merdie. See?

Are you sure you aren't doing something else to put them off?

I've had a wide range of responses in France, but nothing like you describe. Worst cases, sniffiness or correction with barely concealed distain. I can live that.

Agree, Paris is the worst, but even there if you are polite, open and trying, they will work to understand you.
If you eat a pizza or a kebab in France, you need your head examined.
Also Asian food. Any restaurant that has Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese and Thai on the menu should be avoided.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We were near Bergerac and also in Uzes a couple of weeks ago. French drivers will tailgate you on the autoroutes at 130kph, so close that you couldn't put a cigarette paper between the bumpers, but if you are on a bike in the countryside, they behave impeccably and give you loads of space as they pass.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I disagree. I advise you to try Clairette de Die. It cost maybe 9 euros a bottle and is excellent. I always buy some when I go to France.
I based my comments on our honeymoon in Corsica, 1988. We started with the stuff that was put in our suitcase by my best man. Two weeks later, with funds in very short supply, we were down to five Franc bottles that had the audacity to have "Champagne" on the label.

Trust me, it was rank.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Municipal camp sites range from excellent to shoddy. Generally don't have swimming pool's but tend to include entry to the local swimming pool in the pitch fee.
I get by with my French for camping and shopping. Always feel like I get a better reception by having a go, rather than repeating the same thing in English getting louder each time!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Then they can just take the piss, After a rescent ride to Paris, the guy i was riding with spoke pretty good french, but the French all seem to have a chip on there shoulder, there are a few french who will be helpful. But i will not be going back, Belgium is the place to ride.

The complete opposite of my experience over 40 years of visiting France. The Parisians are, just like Londoners, big city people and you’ll encounter big city attitudes. Outside of this you’ll find France and the French a wonderful country and people.

Always attempt to start the conversation in French and people will, if they can, help with English. Walk in to a shop expecting people to use English will not get you any help.

I always drink far more waster in France and carry plenty when on tour as the country is more rural than the UK.

Julia9054

Guru
Municipal camp sites range from excellent to shoddy. Generally don't have swimming pool's but tend to include entry to the local swimming pool in the pitch fee.
I get by with my French for camping and shopping. Always feel like I get a better reception by having a go, rather than repeating the same thing in English getting louder each time!
On the subject of campsites, if you are going in the school summer holidays, i would book before you go. It gets quite busy

Julia9054

Guru
Don't forget that outside the big cities, most shops will close for lunch and many places still have half day closing.
Although some supermarkets have limited Sunday opening hours, most other shops will be closed.
Restaurants have strict opening hours too. Don't try to get lunch - even a quick sandwich - outside of the hours of 12 - 2.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Priority on roundabouts can vary (at least in some rural areas) between cars entering the roundabout having to give way to those on it having to give way. There are usually no obvious signs to indicate which system is in place.

Julia9054

Guru
Priority on roundabouts can vary (at least in some rural areas) between cars entering the roundabout having to give way to those on it having to give way. There are usually no obvious signs to indicate which system is in place.
But somehow it seems to work and in my experience people don't get cross!

Top Bottom