first fixed project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I have an identical bike to that. There should be no problem tensioning the chain. With slick tyres, it will ride pretty well but I would fit a decent headset as the original is poor quality.

OP
OP
lip03

lip03

Über Member
Thanks tyred any chance of a pic of your bike ? Yeah I have ordered new headset and new stem

tyred

Legendary Member
None to hand but I'll take one at the weekend if I remember. The condition isn't as nice as yours, a little rust starting to show and it's been "hybridised."

OP
OP
lip03

lip03

Über Member
untitled.png
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png

first few pics strip down of forks removed the brake posts and first coat of primer

tyred

Legendary Member
I've just remembered I promised the OP a photo.

Here's mine, in "touring" spec.
DSCF6391.JPG

Covered around 1,000 miles on this in the past few months. A sore back means I can't really ride my road bikes at the moment so I've fitted this with an adjustable stem to this to get me into an upright riding position. Not a bad frame really, rides really well after I binned the original headset and replaced it with a Stronglight A9.

OP
OP
lip03

lip03

Über Member
yeah the frame feels good for what i assume is a cheap mountain bike?? probably an argos £99 job! the very little riding i did on mine was comfortable enough.
headset and stem aren't the best so ordered new :rolleyes:

tyred

Legendary Member
It's not a £99 Argos job but still low end. I bought mine with some money I had saved up when I was 14 (almost 20 years ago Yikes!:ohmy: ) I think it cost about £150. Mine has covered a fair few miles on and of over the years and probably the only original parts left are the frame, chainset (now getting a bit "spikey" on the middle ring), bottom bracket, seatpost and handlebars.

I've been told that these frames well actually built in the Elswick-Hopper factory in Barton-on-Humber. I'm not sure how true that is but I know there was a connection with Elswick. My suspicion is that they were made in Taiwan or somewhere and sold under one of Elswick's budget brands.

OP
OP
lip03

lip03

Über Member
Any new pictures on this one Lip? quite interested to see how this ends up.
not just yet awaiting payday to get a few more bits and getting frame sandblasted this weekend hopefully! Was going to pay for it to be done but a friend has one so fingers crossed! But there will be! So keep an eye out

OP
OP
lip03

lip03

Über Member
Any new pictures on this one Lip? quite interested to see how this ends up.
Finally got frame back and primed hopefully get colour on tomorrow and get it back together can't afford new wheels at the minute though so might just see if I can get chain aligned by using a short chain and original cassette and 3 speed crank.
Frame.jpg

OP
OP
lip03

lip03

Über Member
This is the current state nearly there just need to put all components back

Attachments

• Bike1.jpg
    Bike1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 71
Top Bottom