First imperial century

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
andrew_rc46

andrew_rc46

I read it as three big breakfasts followed by another big breakfast

:hungry:
lol

trickletreat

Veteran
You should be highly commended for such a great achievement, I don't think I could manage to eat that much food in a day, let alone ride a bike! I think I can now see where I went wrong the last time I attempted the imperial 100; the week before my attempt I completed the metric 100 in good time, followed by a few shorter rides to keep the legs working. On the big day, July 9th 2013, I had my normal two wheetabix and tea, loaded the bike with two bottles of water and set off, 25 miles later felt really ill. Cycled another ten miles to try and get home, but came to a hill and couldn't get up it. At this point my guardian angel [white van man delivery driver] carried me and bike home...I quickly removed new and expensive bib shorts, managed to phone wife, but was only able to say "pain" and "ambulance!"
Wife and ambulance arrived shortly afterwards, I was having a heart attack...off to hospital for a stent, four weeks later I had a triple bypass. The good news is that I now take statins, so full English breakfast is now possible:laugh:. Ten days after the op I was back on the bike and a couple of weeks later managed a 20+ mile ride. Thanks to present medication the imperial is now a distant goal!
Hope I haven't hijacked your thread, obviously needed to get that off my chest:bicycle:
Really well done and I will try to use it as motivation to get me back out on the bike.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You should be highly commended for such a great achievement, I don't think I could manage to eat that much food in a day, let alone ride a bike! I think I can now see where I went wrong the last time I attempted the imperial 100; the week before my attempt I completed the metric 100 in good time, followed by a few shorter rides to keep the legs working. On the big day, July 9th 2013, I had my normal two wheetabix and tea, loaded the bike with two bottles of water and set off, 25 miles later felt really ill. Cycled another ten miles to try and get home, but came to a hill and couldn't get up it. At this point my guardian angel [white van man delivery driver] carried me and bike home...I quickly removed new and expensive bib shorts, managed to phone wife, but was only able to say "pain" and "ambulance!"
Wife and ambulance arrived shortly afterwards, I was having a heart attack...off to hospital for a stent, four weeks later I had a triple bypass. The good news is that I now take statins, so full English breakfast is now possible:laugh:. Ten days after the op I was back on the bike and a couple of weeks later managed a 20+ mile ride. Thanks to present medication the imperial is now a distant goal!
Hope I haven't hijacked your thread, obviously needed to get that off my chest:bicycle:
Really well done and I will try to use it as motivation to get me back out on the bike.
That is a pitiful excuse for not finishing your imperial century! You should have finished the 100 miles first and then called for the ambulance. In fact, you should have done an extra 25 miles to bring the distance up to 200 km ... :laugh:

Lucky escape, and well done for eventually getting back on the bike! :thumbsup:

Ohhh, that's not good, well if you want to take a positive from the experience, I guess it flagged a problem that may have accounted for you, in worse circumstances:eek:. Good luck with the recovery :boxing::bicycle:

trickletreat

Veteran
Andrew_rc46 I thank you for your post as in this dark and dreary January your post has inspired me to get back on my bike. I am sitting typing this with a warm glow having returned from an eleven mile ride on my local cycle track.:bicycle:
I hope I can now get myself out there on a regular basis, after all spring will be here soon:sun:
ps thanks Roadkill.

Andrew_rc46 I thank you for your post as in this dark and dreary January your post has inspired me to get back on my bike. I am sitting typing this with a warm glow having returned from an eleven mile ride on my local cycle track.:bicycle:
I hope I can now get myself out there on a regular basis, after all spring will be here soon:sun:
ps thanks Roadkill.
YW. Keep at it, and when the long (hopefully) warm days are upon us, you'll be able to take full advantage from the get go. Winter trickle training (with some big efforts as demonstrated by the O.P) will mean a much nicer time when conditions allow you to ramp the mileage up. :becool:

OP
OP
andrew_rc46

andrew_rc46

ps thanks Roadkill.

All we can do is try. I just wasn't feeling good about my endurance so I decided to bite the bullet and get some long ones in every month. I set a target for stage 1 TDF for the spring! I feel like I'm ready for the challenge, but I'm going do a little more training before I attemp it. So I'm thinking more like the start of summer now :smile:. You can follow me on strava if you'd like to keep an eye on my progress! Andrew sherif :smile:
Have an enjoyable safe year.

OP
OP
andrew_rc46

andrew_rc46

Blo
Bloody hell!
Hope that you'll get back to full fitness soon :smile: have a safe riding year and all the best.
I'm on strava if you like to follow me :smile: Andrew sherif.

Top Bottom