First little accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PrettyboyTim

I had my first commuting accident today. I was heading home, coming up through Kentish Town towards Archway and I had just travelled over a traffic light and was coming up to another where I turn right. I was concerned about a car that was travelling behind me (and whether they were going to leave me enough space in the lane) but spent a little too long checking them out - when I looked forward again I realised that:

a) The van in front of me was about 3-4 metres away.
:biggrin: The van in front of me was stationary.
:biggrin: I was not.

I slammed on the brakes, but it wasn't enough and I hit the back of the van. My back wheel went up and my helmet bumped into the rear of the van, and my groin went forward into the handlebar stem :biggrin:.

Luckily, I was fine apart from that annoying 'hit in the nads' feeling, and a feeling of embarrassment. The bus driver to my left seemed to think it was pretty funny after I gave him my best comedy 'I've just been kicked in the balls' expression and made some joke about being in the circus. The lady in the car I'd been worried about pulled up aside next to ask me if I was all right :sad:. Anyway - bike seems fine, after about half a mile the family jewels felt fine, and the helmet has no visible (new) marks on it.

For an accident, I'm pleased that I got away that lightly, but I guess I need to think about how I can stop it happening again!

Maz

Guru
Sounds painful, Tim! And what about the van you hit? Did the driver say anything?

OP
OP
PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim

There was no visible damage on the van as far as I could see, and the driver didn't get out. I didn't hit him that hard, so it's possible he didn't notice, especially if he was just stopping at the time as well (it all happened so fast I don't really remember if he was completely still or just stopping at the moment of impact). Having recovered myself I was just thinking I should probably go and say sorry, but then the lights changed and he moved off. It was a BT OpenWorld van, if I recall correctly.

Maz

Guru
PrettyboyTim said:
... It was a BT OpenWorld van, if I recall correctly.
...at least, they're the words that are now imprinted on your forehead following the impact! :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
target fixation

have to learn to not dawdle with rear obs, good position and planning reduces the need to worry about whats behind

anything you walk away from ...

bonj2

PrettyboyTim said:
For an accident, I'm pleased that I got away that lightly, but I guess I need to think about how I can stop it happening again!

Look where you're going?

Tetedelacourse

bonj said:
Is your front wheel ok?

I hit a parked car when I was young cos I was watching my gears change:blush: Did my forks in and I got a fat lip. I'm surprised your bike's ok!

bonj2

Tetedelacourse;72234][quote name= said:
I hit a parked car when I was young cos I was watching my gears change:blush: Did my forks in and I got a fat lip. I'm surprised your bike's ok!
My bike's fine, but I'm not the one that's crashed.

PrettyboyTim said:
There was no visible damage on the van as far as I could see, and the driver didn't get out. I didn't hit him that hard, so it's possible he didn't notice, especially if he was just stopping at the time as well (it all happened so fast I don't really remember if he was completely still or just stopping at the moment of impact). Having recovered myself I was just thinking I should probably go and say sorry, but then the lights changed and he moved off. It was a BT OpenWorld van, if I recall correctly.

Christ a BTOpenWorld.Dunno why but I trust these even less.

Either that or Royal Mail red.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I once ran up the rear of a neighbours new 928 Porshe whe I was a kid....... Left a dent but the bloke was OK about it ! My family still wind me up about it and I'm 37

Top Bottom