First long cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

royalboa

Been cycling to work and back for the last week, most iv done at once is like 7 mile.

Had my first prober cycle today and am happy to say I done 41 mile.

Took me 4 hours like but I was never going for time, just wanted to stay on the bike lol.

Was shocked that the thing that hurt the most when I got back was my hands.

Sandra6

Veteran
Well done. That's a good "first" cycle.
I've still not managed more than 30. I quite often have stiff hands, a combination of taking too much weight down through my arms and covering the brakes.

OP
OP
royalboa

royalboa

Thanks, doing land end to John O'Groats next year so need all the practice I can get.

Wish I never done it before work though lol need my bed

RhythMick

Über Member
Been cycling to work and back for the last week, most iv done at once is like 7 mile.

Had my first prober cycle today and am happy to say I done 41 mile.

Took me 4 hours like but I was never going for time, just wanted to stay on the bike lol.

Was shocked that the thing that hurt the most when I got back was my hands.

Apparently it's quite a common mistake for a beginner, to get set up wrong so it hurts your hands, wrists, arms. It definitely got me, so much that on 50 mile + rides my little fingers would end up numb. Definitely sounds like a set up issue.

For me, I had the saddle too high and too far back and the saddle was pointing down, plus the bars were too low. All of that meant I was stretching too far for the bars and putting too much weight on them.

There is much advice about setup.

http://sheldonbrown.com/pain.html#fingers.

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
Nice one. It's when you start hitting those sorts of mileages that non-cyclists struggle to comprehend that you actually get on a bike and do that.

For the hands - do you wear gloves? I find Specialized BG gloves are great at helping hand pain (which I used to get a lot of). Equally, as others have suggested, get a proper bike fit. It's worth paying the extra for a recommended fitter.

Keep it up sir. Half-century next?

OP
OP
royalboa

royalboa

Can't believe how good I feel after been on a bike for 4 hours yesterday.

Can't wait to do it again next week, going to go a day I'm off and make a whole day of it.

Top Bottom