First "long" ride fuelling help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
I'm headed off on my first "long" ride tomorrow (circa 40 miles). I normally cycle to and from work, about 31 miles a day, and I've started extending my ride home to about 20 miles a few times.
The thing is, I'm not a breakfast eater. I normally have to be awake for a good 2 hours or so before I'm hungry, and I tend to make my morning commute on an empty stomach (my wife isn't quite sure how I manage).
I'm just wondering how I should go about fuelling for the ride. I plan on bringing some cereal bars, and there is a cake stop. But, should I force something in my gob before I leave my house in the morning? I'm just worried as when I do try to eat first thing in the morning, I tend to feel ill.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Only you can answer this, but if eating first thing makes you feel ill, don't do it. You're used to riding in the morning on an empty stomach. Try nibbling something as you go to keep levels up.

It's likely to warm tomorrow I think, so the best place for your water bottle when you leave the house is on the bike - not my preferred location of on the kitchen counter.

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
Only you can answer this, but if eating first thing makes you feel ill, don't do it. You're used to riding in the morning on an empty stomach. Try nibbling something as you go to keep levels up.

It's likely to warm tomorrow I think, so the best place for your water bottle when you leave the house is on the bike - not my preferred location of on the kitchen counter.

Thanks for the advice. I prefer a camelbak as opposed to a water bottle (small frame bike makes multiple bottle cages awkward), but I'll try not to leave it in the fridge. and take a few cereal bars along

e-rider

crappy member
I'm headed off on my first "long" ride tomorrow (circa 40 miles). I normally cycle to and from work, about 31 miles a day, and I've started extending my ride home to about 20 miles a few times.
The thing is, I'm not a breakfast eater. I normally have to be awake for a good 2 hours or so before I'm hungry, and I tend to make my morning commute on an empty stomach (my wife isn't quite sure how I manage).
I'm just wondering how I should go about fuelling for the ride. I plan on bringing some cereal bars, and there is a cake stop. But, should I force something in my gob before I leave my house in the morning? I'm just worried as when I do try to eat first thing in the morning, I tend to feel ill.
you only need 'fueling' after about 35 miles assuming you are not starving before you start. If you are doing 40 miles I wouldn't worry too much, just take a snack with you

I also don't eat breakfast, and I often do 50 mile rides without breakfast and without food - I tend to stuff my face when I get home though!

Longer than 50 miles requires food, and after 100 miles you need to eat properly, little and often to keep going; if you attempt 200 miles make sure you have access to plenty of good food

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
A lot depends on the level of effort you're putting in. I used to ride moderately hard for 50mins-1hr as part of my morning commute, and that was fine, but it was also pretty much the limit of what I would do before breakfast. (I would take breakfast with me to eat as soon as I finished, by which time I really needed it.)

Riding 40 miles without eating (2-2.5hrs for me) would be a very bad idea. Even at an easy level of effort, 40 miles is a long way to go without food - especially if you're not used to the distance.

If you can't manage to eat before you start, it's well worth carrying something to snack on as you ride, or adding some energy potion to your camelbak.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
you only need 'fueling' after about 35 miles assuming you are not starving before you start. If you are doing 40 miles I wouldn't worry too much, just take a snack with you

That's probably fine for you if you're used to the distance but I suspect the op will struggle to do the same having never ridden that far before.

What level of effort would you say those 50 mile rides are? (Genuinely interested.)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Have a decent meal the night before, some pasta or rice will still give you a decent 'food store' in the morning. Breakfast bars or flapjack after riding for a bit should keep you going then.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Up to a point - your body can only store so much glycogen. Your body is like a car in this respect - filling up the tank the night before won't increase the capacity of the tank. (Though it will be better than not filling up the tank before you set off, obviously.)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I don't eat in the mornings either, a banana at about 10 miles is good, then a proper lunch at your chosen stop you should be ok.
Take the flapjacks and jelly beans just in case: I always take too much food, then don't eat it until I get back home.

Top Bottom