First overnight cycle trip! It was bloody freezing!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Please report back on your impressions, including in-use of that. Looks interesting though wonder if the chamber design of that might introduce too many potential points of failure, but has 3 year guarantee. Yes the decathlon forclaz is found to be a bit narrow by some. Seem to remember it did seem a tad narrow from my decathlon floor lie down test. Sod this obsession with weight saving :smile:
Both Aldi and Lidl have such mats right now for about GBP 14. I'm no expert on self-inflatables, I sleep on a 80mm thick blow-up airbed. To me it is worth teh weight and effort but I appreciate that others can sleep comfortably on a knobbly, wobbly plank and still wake up cheerful. It may be worth a look.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A couple of things about being cold. Roughing it is easy. Being very comfortable takes just a little planning.

There are a few things I take, whether it is cycle touring or motorbike touring. I have found over the years these things make a great difference in my sleeping comfort.

Down sleeping bag and silk liner. The liners are cheap and keep the inside of your sleeping bag clean. They also add a few degrees of heat.

Down jacket. Packs to nothing. Great for sitting around in at night. The only downside is that you will probably have to take it off during the night because you will be too warn.

Polar buff or beanie for your head and ears. Summer nights can be cold. You lose most of your heat through your head.

Ear plugs. The dawn chorus use to wake me up.

Exped Air U/L sleeping mat. Very Light, packs small and it super warn and comfy.

A good nights sleep can be the difference between a good tour and a bad tour.

I am going to make a cover for my sleeping bag today. It will be very light and is already treated with a finish. But I will use a spray to make it even more water repellent. I will see how it goes and post some pictures.

If I make 2. One of you lot can test it for me. ^_^

Last edited:
Both Aldi and Lidl have such mats right now for about GBP 14. I'm no expert on self-inflatables, I sleep on a 80mm thick blow-up airbed. To me it is worth teh weight and effort but I appreciate that others can sleep comfortably on a knobbly, wobbly plank and still wake up cheerful. It may be worth a look.
Yes I know - they look rather similar I think. Seem to remember that someone on a forum reported good things back on the comfort of the Aldi one. But though I'm no minimalist (I'm at the kitchen sink end of the spectrum) they looked rather big when packed - when placed sideways on the top rack I had the impression that they would stick out more than I am comfortable with - wouldn't want the mat to stick out more than the tent which is also placed sideways.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
@ChrisEyles Can i ask what the bike is chris? Colour scheme makes that Marin look rather old but I see that it has an aheadset.

The bike is a '97 Marin Hawk Hill, one of the lower range hard tails they offered at the time. Main triangle is CroMo, seat/chainstays are hi-ten steel. I think it was originally kitted out with acera/altus running gear, though its now sporting a slightly nicer STX crankset (which I think is one of the smartest MTB groupsets shimano ever produced). At some stage I need to replace the RD and brake levers, and might try and match these with more STX gear if I can find it on the cheap.

The fork was originally a nasty grey RST 381 elastomer jobby that didn't work very well. I was lucky enough to find an original period-correct Marin rigid fork over on retrobike, which is what's on now... so the colour pairing isn't quite original, though I think it's quite in keeping with the Marins of that era, and I really like it. I have a serious weakness for yellow bikes!

Thanks for the info on the bike chris - how many speeds? - if you want to replace a few bits I'd do it sharpish. And lay in stocks.

97 was a good year I think - after that a fair few manufacturers went to aluminium and have only recently rediscovered the simple wonder of steel - I have three Ridgebacks from 97.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
It's a 3x7 drivetrain - I think (hope!) it's still relativlely easy to source a 7 speed freewheel, isn't it? The RD is currently an AceraX model, but I've got a 7 speed STX in the garage for when it gives up the ghost. STX and STX-RC brake levers come up fairly often on ebay (at wildly varying prices!), and I'll need to get some of these sometime fairly soon since the barrel adjusters aren't working any more on the current levers, which is a bit annoying. Grip shiffts still going strong so far!

I've also got a '97 Marin Shoreline Trail - the budget version of the flagship Mount Vision XC full susser. Pretty much only the frame (Ally frame on this one) and forks are original on that one though. It might not be much of a match for a modern FS bike performance-wise, but looks-wise I think it knocks spots of the competition :smile:

20170327_111851.jpg

I think barrel adjusters are available separately.

I was confused at first by your search for specific brake levers then, wondered, are they perhaps canti brakes?

If so, ever considered switching to V brakes?

edit - close look - they are probably already Vs.

Surely any V levers will be fine? I recently fitted some to a bike, then took them off and replaced with a new pair I got for a tenner as I preffered the mounting of them over the ones that cost twice as much.

V brake pads from

http://www.discobrakes.com/

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Yep, they are Avid V brakes (think the bike was originally specced with cantis but I'm not sad the previous owner made the swap). No special reason for wanting STX levers, only as a bit of period-correct bling for the bike. I've already got some nice cartridge pads fitted wth a few spare pads in the garage.

I don't think new barrel adjusters will solve the problem unfortunately - the lever housing is plastic and the threads have stripped out, so under hard braking the cable slackens off!! So I've set the barrels to the slackest setting, but it does mean I can't tweak the brakes any more.

Would love to see a couple of pics of your '97 Ridgebacks if you've got some!

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Went out again last night, up on the Exmoor moorland again. It was so warm (min 15C overnight), with no risk of rain, that I left the tarp behind and bivvied under the stars.

Climbing up the hill was insanely hot work so I took it easy and made a few stops in the shady woods for some tea, watching the birds snatching flies on the wing. Made it up to the top for 9pm ish with plenty of daylight left and settled down to enjoy a lovely sunset.

I was woken up very early in the dawn chorus by a grasshopper warbler (the second one I've heard while wild camping, which is interesting as they're usually quite elusive birds) and greeted by a small herd of Exmoor ponies in the morning.

20170618_203814.jpg
20170618_203819.jpg
20170618_203827.jpg

I foolishly forgot to bring my roll-mat along with me this time. While I didn't have to worry about the cold creeping up from the ground, I was worried I would have a bit of a rough night, since the ground up on the heath is quite hard and stony. Interestingly, comfort-wise I couldn't tell much difference - I guess this means my roll-mat is a bit rubbish! Might be the excuse I need to splash out on one of those Aldi therma-rests.

So this has been the most minimal camp so far with just a bivvy bag and a sleeping bag... and it was so warm I probably *really* need either!

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Had another lovely wild camp last night, this time with some slight kit modifications.

I borrowed a small thermarest from a friend to try it out, and used this instead of the roll mat (inside the bivvy bag rather than underneath)... it was amazing! I don't think I've ever had such a comfortable night outdoors. Just like with mountain biking, it seems that pressure is critical - too much and it felt like a trampoline, but just enough to keep you off the ground and it was smashing.

This one was very small so I did find myself falling off a few times in the night, but on the flip side it packs down into next to nothing. I can imagine it would also make a big difference to comfort against the cold in the winter. I'll persevere with the old roll mat for now, but I can't see myself holding out forever on this - just need a good excuse to buy one!

It's also worth mentioning that having the bivvy bag directly on the floor rather than on a roll mat was fine on the grass, but I wouldn't want to do it too often on rougher ground as I imagine it would wear pretty quickly. So long term plan is keep the roll mat under the bivy and splash out on a thermarest or cheaper copy when I'm feeling rich (feeling very very very unrich right now after just pranging the car and talking to the insurance people :sad:)

After quite a few nights out, I've got the tarp rigging down to fifteen minutes or so including getting everything I need out the bag and in place. Had some rain overnight and once again it performed perfectly. I vastly prefer it to the (weeks and weeks of) camping I've done in tents... you can probably tell why by the third pic below :smile:

20170709_210958.jpg

20170709_192442.jpg
20170709_202625.jpg

It might also be worth mentioning that all the overnight camps I've done in this thread have been based around very short rides. The longest has probably been seven or eight miles out to the campsite, while yesterday's outward trip was only a couple of miles*... and it's still great fun!

Might be food for thought for anyone who's worried about carrying heavy kit (especially if they're using a backpack like me) on a long/tough ride. I know I'm spoilt for choice being close to Dartmoor and working on Exmoor, but if you can see a likely looking wood near you on the OS map it might be worth a quick reccy!

*actually I went quite a bit further, out to the top of the local biggest hill, but the woodland was very dense and the only clearings were covered in bracken, which with all the deer around equals crawling with ticks. So I backtracked and ended up quite close to where I set out from.

It's also worth mentioning that having the bivvy bag directly on the floor rather than on a roll mat was fine on the grass, but I wouldn't want to do it too often on rougher ground as I imagine it would wear pretty quickly. So long term plan is keep the roll mat under the bivyo

I find it easier to have my thermarest inside the bivvy - but then my bivi is a big ex army thing. That way there's no rolling off problem. I put a cheap light B&Q tarp under the bivi - those blue things you see around. Doesn't take much room. And I use it under my tent groundsheet.

Do keep the reports coming - I bivvied myself in a somewhat less lovely place on Sunday after the Dynamo,

Top Bottom