First overnight cycle trip! It was bloody freezing!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
I've been sharing my bivvying adventures with my Dad when I've popped around for a cuppa, and he's been very keen to join me on one. So last weekend we drove up onto Dartmoor and did a short walk out from the army camp roads onto the moor. We found an absolutely perfect camping spot.... but it was already full of army chappies setting up for a night exercise! I asked them what they were up to and if it would be OK for us to camp, and they somewhat sheepishly admitted there might be quite a lot of blank firing during the night. So we re-traced our steps and found another spot for a nice little cook-up and cuppa on the stove, where we set up camp for the night.

20170714_204840.jpg
20170714_190506.jpg

Anyway, I thought people on here might be interested to know that my Dad used a £5 B&Q tarp and a very budget sleeping bag with no bivvy bag, and still managed to have a perfectly comfortable, dry night. So no excuses for anyone wanting to try out a bit of cowboy camping!

(it drizzled a bit with heavy dew... but I wouldn't necessarily advise such a minimalist gear list for serious weather conditions)

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
At the other end of the weather conditions spectrum, I found another lovely new camping spot up on Exmoor this week (don't think I've camped at the same place twice yet), and stayed up there during a pretty epic thunderstorm. Didn't get a huge amount of sleep with all the thunder and lightning (some very impressive forks over the hills) but did stay perfectly dry, to my considerable surprise.

20170716_200739.jpg
20170716_210508.jpg

I did miss the thermarest I borrowed from my friend though. Anyone got any recommendations for a cheap one that packs down fairly small?

That B&Q tarp is the same as I use under me I think.

Great posts - keep them coming - top marks to your dad.

Apologies if I've asked before but what are you using for poles? I have only ever strung a tarp up between trees.

I'll be interested in replies to your question about mats as the way you have framed it should exclude any suggestions of ones weighing 3g that are super costy and always to me look suspiciously delicate.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
@Blue Hills I quite often get by using just the bike as a support for the tarp and a flying diamond pitch. If this doesn't give enough space underneath I've got a stick about the width of my camping roll that I put in the middle of the roll to raise another corner for a lean-to type pitch. I was initially worried this wouldn't be very weather proof, but so far it seems excellent in that regard, and gives a lot more room under the tarp. As well as being a bit more comfortable and open feeling this can be good for heavy rain as the tarp tends to sag down under the weight of the water and the wind, and if it sags enough to touch the bivvy bag you're going to get very wet! On a couple of occasions I've forgotten my "special" stick and fashioned a replacement from the nearest hedgerow, which also works fine.

When I went out on Dartmoor with my Dad I borrowed a couple of hiking poles from another friend. These are really the optimal solution as they're adjustable and the spike on the bottom fits perfectly through the tarp eyelets, so if you've got one I'd recommend using it. However the simple stick works well enough that I don't really see the point in buying one especially for the purpose (and I don't like hiking with poles so no other use for one).

Trees work even better, with more room under the tarp if you've got one handy, but the flexibility of not having to camp under a tree is very useful.

@Crackle thanks for the recommendation, I'll check out the Alpkit stuff online.

Thanks for the reply Chris.

Ah I see from the pics, looking more closely, that the bike is guyed out is it not? And then the tarp pulled and guyed against that?

I suppose my only concern (serious actually - it's the sort of thing that bothers me) is that the bike might somehow fall and injure me. Particularly as my ropecraft isn't the best.

On poles, I do have one of these:

http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/medium-bivi-pole.html

But haven't used it. It's no wider than my tent and other junk when they are sideways on my rack. But it is a tad beefy. At least it's not going to break. The extension system is quite good. Continuously variable.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
@Blue Hills, yes I should have mentioned I guy the bike out first. I use two lengths (6'-9') of para cord to do this. One of them goes around the saddle rails and is pegged out on either side to the rear at a 45 degree angle. The other goes around the head tube and is pegged out on either side to the front at a 45 degree angle. The guy line on one of the tarp corners then goes either over the saddle or around the saddle rails and is pegged down on the other side of the bike.

Here's the clearest pic I have of the set-up (on my touring bike I use the rear rack rather than the saddle rails, but you get the idea).

20170512_203539.jpg

I was also initially very worried about the bike falling on me! But when properly pegged out the bike is very stable indeed - and the down force from the tarp guy line makes it even more stable. I've used this pitching method in fairly strong wind, and I'll admit I did worry quite a lot during the night and sleep less well than I would have otherwise. However it has been rock solid every time, so I'm learning to relax and trust it. To give you an idea of the degree to which I shared your concern, the first windy night I spent with this set-up I slept in my cycling helmet (which was actually surprising comfortable)!

No real bushcraft required to do this you'll be relieved to know. I used bowline knots to make loops on either end of the guy ropes (very easy, you can look it up online), but any old knot should do the trick. I did play around with trucker's hitches to tension up the guy lines but it's a bit of a faff and really not necessary, you can get all the tension you'll ever need by simply moving the pegs to the required position.

That bivvi pole looks good, guess it would do the same job as the hiking pole but like you say a bit beefier. I would recommend using the bike for one high corner of the tarp and the pole for the other in a lean-to configuration. That's the pitch I'm settling in on in the absence of a nice high tree branch (in which case I prefer a flying diamond pitch). Or I guess you could use two poles if you don't trust the bike - but I somehow really like using the bike as a tent pole!

Great post chris.

At the risk of being picky/nervous, impressive as this system is, the other thing that would concern me is that your sleeping place is less stealthy than it might be since the bike could be quite visible.
Views?

I am afraid I am pretty bad at knots and though I have practised them a bit I tend to forget them.
Luckily cheap technology seems to have made most knots apart from the very simple permanent things all but redundant.
I can recommend some bits if you like.

Looking forward to more of your adventures.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I am afraid I am pretty bad at knots

You canknot be serious!

Sorry, i couldn't let it be after i read it. Don't worry, I'll go hang myself now...know any good knots?

::edit::

Very nice pictures though, loving the scenery

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
@Blue Hills if you can't tie knots - tie lots!

Alternatively, the nice thing about bowline knots for the guy ropes is they don't tend to work loose (they are designed to tether boats which are constantly tugging on the line after all). So you can look up how to do the knot at home, make the knots in front of youtube, and then pretty much never have to re-knot them again. Though after you've done eight guy ropes on each end you will probably remember the knot in any case!

Yes, having the bike as a bivvy pole is definitely a bit more conspicuous than using a collapsible pole. I've vaguely thought about getting some camo tape to cover my bike in (I can't remember if it was mickle or another cyclechatter who did this to an adventure style bike, and it looked really good), but I *love* the lairy yellow frame and red forks on that bike so can't bring myself to do it.

So far my solutions have been 1) camp on Dartmoor where camping is allowed 2) on Exmoor camp on or near land that I manage myself for work - I'm the only person who's likely to tell off illicit campers there 3) arrive/pitch up late around 9pm and leave early around 6am.

Numbers 1 and 2 won't be available for most but number 3 should do the trick 99% of the time. Obviously you have to pick and choose your spots, and be a bit flexible. I planned a while ago to camp at a lovely spot on the SW coast path that I remember coming across when hiking, but when I got there it was far too exposed and public on a very popular walking route close to a town, so dog walkers coming up well into the evening. Nice as the spot was, I ended up retreated a mile or so inland and camping on some quieter heathland.

U

User32269

I love this thread! I use same tarp as your dad @ChrisEyles and cheepo sleeping bag. To be fair, I'm only a nice summer weather rough camper though.
I'm taking my soon to be ten year old lad on his first one soon. A little mini adventure on our bikes with a night under the tarp. Can't wait!

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
@odav the cheapest and most convenient cooking solution I've found is to use a little hexi burner and solid fuel blocks, something like this:

upload_2017-7-24_13-8-36.jpeg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-...Hexi-burner-Army-Camping-Scouts-/222375613640

I've then got a set of ally billy cans to heat up food and water for a cuppa - like this:

upload_2017-7-24_13-7-48.jpeg

(sorry can't find a link for a set exactly like this, most seem a bit bulkier and mine is pretty old!)

The hexi burner, lighter and fuel fit inside the cans for storage, with just enough room for a placcy bag of porridge and an end of loo roll crammed in too.

One fuel tablets is usually enough to heat up a meal for one or to boil enough water for a cuppa.

That's awesome that you're taking your son out on a camping adventure :biggrin: Hope you both have a great time!

Top Bottom