First post! Beginner - Glasgow to Edingburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone.

Im looking at cycling to Glasgow to Edinburgh mainly through cycle paths. From what I can make out there are two NCN routes...The 754 via Falkirk and the 75 through Airdrie.

I understand there has been work carried out by the railway companies around the Airdrie area. Does anyone know if this route is now fully open?

I have a Hybrid bike so its a bit unforgiving over the bumps. Can anyone tell me the condition of the paths on the 754 and the 75 and how long roughly each route takes.

Thanks for your time and replies,
James.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Good morning and welcome. Like rocky mountain I to an from way down south so can't advise but just wanted to say HI!!!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi everyone.

Im looking at cycling to Glasgow to Edinburgh mainly through cycle paths. From what I can make out there are two NCN routes...The 754 via Falkirk and the 75 through Airdrie.

I understand there has been work carried out by the railway companies around the Airdrie area. Does anyone know if this route is now fully open?

I have a Hybrid bike so its a bit unforgiving over the bumps. Can anyone tell me the condition of the paths on the 754 and the 75 and how long roughly each route takes.

Thanks for your time and replies,
James.
:welcome: James!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:hello: Earthwormjim and :welcome: to CycleChat ! :wahhey:

There are many wiser than I on the route you are considering and I would recommend you post it in either the General Cycling or Road Rides, Audax and Sportives section, where those knowledgeable souls will give you an overwhelming level of contradictory suggestions ! ^_^

It's then up to you to choose whom you will believe ;) ...

There are quite a lot of the CC Ecosse brigade around Glasweegieland, the more aloof ones some in the East - and others all over the place !

We do occasionally 'organise' a CC Ecosse Forum ride, when we meet at a usually central location and go for a ride together, getting to put faces to forum names - then try to remember the real names :rolleyes:. Oh - and we eat CAKE ! :hungry:

Keep an eye on the CC and Informal Rides and Events section.

Everyone is welcome, any bike is fine; NO ONE GETS LEFT BEHIND. Hope to see you sometime soonish ^_^

Hiya Jim :hello: despite having done Edinburgh - Glasgow several times I've no real knowledge of the NCN 75, I think the NCN754 is just the canal path renamed; its a contour canal so although pancake flat is a bit twisty and more interesting IMO, compared to a straight canal, it a bit narrow in places towards the west and not a great surface there if wet. I prefer to take the quiet country lanes that lie between the two NCN's.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
:welcome:

I usually find small roads nicer than off road cycle paths if it's possible to find them. The surfaces on NCN routes can be very variable, especially in wet weather.

There's also some very nice countryside around your way. I remember riding the forum 'Pedal for Cake' ride 18 months (really that long :blink:) ago and that was really nice, even if I managed to bonk rather dramatically when arriving in Edinburgh :blush:

jim55

Guru
iv done the 754 to the falkirk wheel,,,where r u talking about picking it up from ,i picked it up in bishopbriggs next to the sports centre ,some parts are not in the best condition and a bit bumpy,and there is a few stretches that are really narrow and dodgy ,but overall its easy and no bother ,,nothing to b afraid of ,after the falkirk wheel it changes route and i havent ridden it so i cant comment on that section but up to the wheel its fine
i done it on this
010-1.jpg

this was en route i think
and me there
66ada58c.jpg

top-tube

Über Member
Jim - NCN 75 is open, I did it last Sept from Edinburgh to Glasgow. Drumgelloch to Bathgate section has been quite well done next to the re-opened railway line, and the surface is good. Route is not straightforward on the Tannochside to Drumgeolloch section though - keep your eyes peeled for the route markers - but I think this route is well worth doing: beside the Clyde is great, especially on a languid summer's day, and I like the bleak but beautiful moorland over the tops by Shotts. From Bathgate, I tend to follow the cycle path next to the A89 into Edinburgh, because the section of the 75 from Bathgate to Balerno is circuitous to say the least.

I also like the canal route from Maryhill through to Edinburgh - a bit longer, surface not great in places, and best avoided on a windy day. Can get busy with walkers/dog walkers around Linlithgow also. Again, worth doing at least once - the canal tunnel around Falkirk is an experience (take a light!).

Hope this helps - welcome, and enjoy the ride.

kettle

have recently done falkirk / glasgow and Ratho / Edinburgh this weel falkirk / ratho great to be off road but cycling a touring bike no freewheels but no hills take care going under bridges on the towpath as you can's see people coming the other way - edinburgh to glasgow looks good for a day in summer

Top Bottom