First puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robster

Last night I got my first puncture since I starting communting by bike (about 5 months in total) Luckily I had already done 7 of the 8 miles to the station, so I just walked the rest of the way.

Nothing got stuck in it, I just wore through the tire. I knew it was on its way out but I'd been putting off replacing it as I'm planning on getting a new bike soon. Looks like I put it off too long.

Unfortunately I had to go to Halfords to get a new tire on my way home, in order to get to work today. I also bought an inner tube so I'd have a spare and it turned out to be the wrong size. I even asked the guy if he was sure it was the right size as I'd had problems with them selling me the wrong thing before. They really are useless, its like the bike equivalent of asking for computer advice in PC world. I think I'll stock up on spares from a local bike shop one saturday so I don't have to go in there again.

Tynan

Veteran
they plain don't care

wiggle and the others are good and cheap if you have the time, stay on top of your tyres, you don't want to find out the tyre is past it when the heart in mouth emergency stop comes around

I thought I had my first visit from the p**ct**e fairy yesterday for five years, pulled a thorn out of my right front tyre and heard a hiss then nothing, suspected it was just gas between the tyre and tube, popped the tyre off for a look and there was a slight pin prick on the tube but no air escaping, wierd, patched it anyway.

thePig

halfords for anything bike related is just a bad idea!
Also a little surprised that you have worn through a tyre in that amount of time...

My punctures always come in waves....none for a year then 3 in quick succession. I just got a puncture a few days ago so an now fully expecting several more.

OP
OP
R

Robster

thePig said:
Also a little surprised that you have worn through a tyre in that amount of time...

I've only been commuting for that long but the tyre (along with the rest of the bike) is at least 10 years old.

mootaineer

thePig said:
halfords for anything bike related is just a bad idea!

My punctures always come in waves....none for a year then 3 in quick succession. I just got a puncture a few days ago so an now fully expecting several more.

Weird...that's how my p******** are too.
None for about 6months then about 5 in 3 weeks!

I'm off the bike now with back problems...so with the added weight once I get back on, I'm expecting a whole host of problems :rolleyes:

Catrike UK said:
I thought I had my first visit from the p**ct**e fairy yesterday for five years, pulled a thorn out of my right front tyre and heard a hiss then nothing, suspected it was just gas between the tyre and tube, popped the tyre off for a look and there was a slight pin prick on the tube but no air escaping, wierd, patched it anyway.
I've had small slow p####ures like that, the right amount of pressure seems to open up the hole and once enough air has escaped it closes again. You were right to patch it.

Tynan said:
a ten year old tyre is really asking for trouble, rubber don't last for ever

So these condoms I have had since the '70's should go then?

Tynan

Veteran
yes

and the milk and butter and pate and egg mayonaise in your fridge might bear checking

Tynan said:
yes

and the milk and butter and pate and egg mayonaise in your fridge might bear checking

Damn! I was going to make some tasty energy laden sandwiches with that and the half eaten jar of peanut butter I bought in 1996, for the ride on Sunday.

Top Bottom