First recumbent on my route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
It's obviously been made by someone with a LOT more money AND time than sense.
Literally, what IS the point in having two wheels at the front when you only need one. It doesn't enable it to corner faster, fact. And your 'useful for a granny going shopping' excuse doesn't really work on this one 'cos it's a drop handlebar'd road bike. So there literally is no point to it whatsoever. It's like a dog with two arses and two tails but no head! It's a travesty, a complete abomination!

Fact? Really? Is it? Can you tell us why?

What IS the point of you, bonj?

Christopher

Über Member
I've seen the trike with two wheels at the back (the delta?) used at a big factory in the US. Itinerant fitters use them with a huge toolbox, and security patrol on them as well - useful as they can get places a car cannot and you can't hear them coming (apart from the wheezing of the guard).

Tynan

Veteran
there's a three wheel scooter made by Piaggio that looks absurd

benefits are increased stability in corners and increased braking effectiveness

and for people that have balance issues I guess

this thread is absurd too, how can it run to 13 pages about something as dull as recumbants

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tynan said:
there's a three wheel scooter made by Piaggio that looks absurd

benefits are increased stability in corners and increased braking effectiveness

and for people that have balance issues I guess

this thread is absurd too, how can it run to 13 pages about something as dull as recumbants

Without knowing anything about the scooter in question, but based on your post:

So... it has safety benefits, and also allows possibly access to this sort of transport for people who might not be able to ride a scooter...

but...

you happen to think it looks 'absurd'.

Which might be more important, do we think?

And I notice you've felt the need to post on this 'absurd' and dull thread... I guess that's why it's kept going then...:rolleyes:

Tynan

Veteran
it 'looks' absurd to someone used to a normal scooter, and it does too because it has some mad apparatus to let the scooter and wheels lean over into bends

piaggio3c.jpg

I didn't say which was more important, I was in fact at pains to proffer the advantages, especially the braking/stability improvement

and you know full well that a 14 page thread arguing about recumbents is absurd by definition

whatever

bonj2

Arch said:

It can't corner as fast as a two-wheeled bike. If it could, more people would have those than two-wheeled bikes. FACT. That's not something that needs proving, it's obvious.
It might not be obvious to you, but with all due respect, you're in the "fan of weird bikes" category, which makes you different from normal A-to-B or just-ride-for-the-fun-of-riding cyclists. You like it just because it's weird - that's fine, but don't pretend it's because it's just as good engineering-wise or performance-wise as a normal bike. We've had this argument TWICE before about different bikes, and you keep coming up with an even more ridiculous bike each time - this being the THIRD, and yet you STILL seem to want to persist with insisting that it's just as good as a normal bike, despite not being able to come up with any good reason why it's not more popular.

Arch said:
What IS the point of you, bonj?
The point of me is that I'm slightly more interesting than people who are so boring they constantly feel the need to rehash the same tired old argument time after time again.
The point of me is to provide input to the forum that at least makes a lot more sense than idiots who will stand there open-mouthed swearing blind that black's white or that a square wheel's better than a round one just because it was invented my a mad hungarian scientist who happens to be able to prove that he's got a hundred and eighty six PhDs and won the nobel prize for engineering back in 1642.
You might be (are) a nice person and you are interesting to debate with but you do anger me at times Arch.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tynan said:
I didn't say which was more important, I was in fact at pains to proffer the advantages, especially the braking/stability improvement

Apologies, I was a little harsh there, I didn't mean to aim that at you personally, I was trying to highlight the fact that a single person's taste might not matter in the face of safety benefits. Sorry.

and you know full well that a 14 page thread arguing about recumbents is absurd by definition

Why more absurd than any other thread on this forum? I think the Girls in Lycra is pretty pointless, so I just stay out of it. If you're not interested, beyond offering a pertinant example, just stay away...

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj;32716][QUOTE=Arch said:

It can't corner as fast as a two-wheeled bike. If it could, more people would have those than two-wheeled bikes.

Right. Because EVERYONE out there buys a bike on the basis of how fast it corners do they?

I see what you've done. You made the mistake of thinking that sales figures cause the laws of physics...

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
But what other advantages could a three-wheeler have, GIVEN that it's an UPRIGHT RACING BIKE?

You mean apart from the balance ones I mentioned before?

Actually, looking at that rack, it might be a tourer anyway...

bonj2

But people that would have a racing bike / touring bike don't have a problem balancing a two-wheeled upright bike so three wheels wouldn't be any advantage to them.

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
But people that would have a racing bike / touring bike don't have a problem balancing a two-wheeled upright bike so three wheels wouldn't be any advantage to them.

So no-one who might have a balance problem would ever want to go racing or touring then?

Tynan

Veteran
fill your boots, then you two argue until you're sick, forget my on topic input

there's very few 14 pages threads on here and where there are they about topics that appeal to lots of people and have lots of people contributing

Top Bottom