First road bike with approx £2-3k budget any reccomendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you like Bianchis their Via Nirone C2C is an excellent entry-level bike for long distance rides, sportives and sponsored rides. It's very comfortable and has very sure and predictable handling. With your budget you can get one with a decent groupset, 105 or Ultegra, and fit it with some nice supple 25mm tyres, pumped to 90 psi for a super-smooth ride.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
You must get a Bianchi . . . You must get a Bianchi . . . Look into my eyes . . . You must get a Bianchi . . . :biggrin:

Tiny01 - I just translated you dimensions into international units so I could understand them, and discovered you are a big guy. No problem for a Bianchi as they have no weight limit, but you are a bit close to the Fulcrum wheel limit of 107kg.
I don't think this will be an issue, but it might just be to your advantage. I would guess you need a 59 or maybe even a 61 frame. These sizes are rare - most dealers cautiously only stock the "Mr Average" size of 55. On the other hand, the dealers sometimes get stuck with this size and would be keen to discount them, particularly at this time of the year when "last year's" are being sold off. Have a look at Hargroves and other big dealers.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
As mentioned multiple times, I wouldn't spend that sort of cash on a first bike. 1k will get you a cracking carbon bike these days. Too much choice out there to limit yourself to just a bianchi.

I don't think I could actually choose a bike if I had 2-3k to spend :blush:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Bianchi is a nice bike but you are paying over the top because of the name. Unless you can get a deal on last years models or mates rates.:okay:
You really need a Cervelo.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think it is reasonable to assume from the OP and the thread title that Tiny01 would.
I've been a fan of @Tiny01 for nearly a week, and I get the feeling he would put an expensive bike to good use. I also get the feeling his cycling buddies have spent big on their bikes, and they expect him to do the same.

If he can afford it, and he wants to spend it, I doubt it will be a terrible waste, I think he will put such a bike to good use. But I doubt his speed will vary much between the right sub-£1000 bike, and any £3000 one. And it's always nice to beat someone on a better bike; then you know it's all you.

At this stage it would be hard to tell if you are going to be a 10 mile time trialler, a 24 TT, or maybe audax will be your thing, and you end up doing 400km in a day. The optimal bike for those uses is different, so I'd keep some money in the bank until you know what sort of roadie you will be.

huwsparky

Über Member
I think it is reasonable to assume from the OP and the thread title that Tiny01 would.

But I think it would be reasonable to assume that 'with a bit of luck' we've managed to steer him clear of doing that. 3k on a bike that you have no idea if your gonna get on with is madness and more to the point unnecessary. It won't make him any faster in the short term if not ever.

But I think it would be reasonable to assume that 'with a bit of luck' we've managed to steer him clear of doing that. 3k on a bike that you have no idea if your gonna get on with is madness and more to the point unnecessary. It won't make him any faster in the short term if not ever.
Nice. Took me 3 paragraphs, and you 3 sentences.

But you are making all sorts of assumptions about what the OP wants. He may not want "faster". He may not want to "save money". All we know is that he is attracted to the Bianchi. Why is it "madness" to want the best? Or even, if it isn't objectively the best, why is it madness to want something you are attracted to. None of us would marry if this was the case! A friend of mine recently ditched his Discovery because it was so unreliable and then went out and bought a Range Rover. Out of the frying pan into the fire, I thought, but it is what he likes and what he wanted. Who are we to say it is madness? people earn their money. They buy what the like with it.

Going back to what I said about there being large size bikes left over at the end of a season, Winstanleys have a 59cm Oltre for £1499. OK, it will need upgrades as you go along, but not a bad place to start.

Top Bottom