First road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RJP

Hi.

I'm a new member here, and I'm looking for some advice in my search for my first road bike.

Up until the heavy snow and ice that hit us in December, I had been cycling to and from my College for a few months. The bike I was using is an old Claud Butler mountain bike which I had shod with some more road biased tyres, but it's all a bit worn from my use and previously my father's use. So I'm now looking to get something more suited to my needs.

The basic requirement is that it needs to be suitable for commuting and also be good for leisure use. I sometimes need to take quite a bit with me to the College, and other times I don't, so I guess the option of fitting a pannier would be handy? I think guards would also be a good idea too so I don't get spray up my back when it's poor weather?

I also like cycling at speed, a problem for the mountain bike as I found it isn't very well suited for that. :laugh:

The figure I had in mind was around £250 for the bike. I'm happy with new or second hand, whichever will give the best deal. I hope that this is enough for a good road bike?

Thanks!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
+1

If you are mechanically capable (do no need to be particularly good), then get a second hand.

New only makes sense if you have an irrational and uncontrollable phobia of buying something that isn't new, or if your mechanical aptitude is such that re-wiring a plug results in a flood in the bathroom.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
+1

If you are mechanically capable (do no need to be particularly good), then get a second hand.

New only makes sense if you have an irrational and uncontrollable phobia of buying something that isn't new, or if your mechanical aptitude is such that re-wiring a plug results in a flood in the bathroom.

Top Bottom