First road experience for my 10 year old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I think practice is definitely going to be the key.
We do talk about being on the road when we're walking and driving too. They are quite traffic aware already so I'm hoping it'll be a fairly natural progression.

Sara_H

Guru
Sandra my son is almost 10, so I'm in a similar position to you, but he's really come on alot over the last few months.

Re: road positioning. I like you generally cycle behind to keep an eye on things. I take a very extended primary - almost "two abreast but a bit behind", in fact some sections we do ride two abreast and have a little chat!

johnnyh

Veteran
Good stuff, with my youngest (8 nearing 9), I ride a very strong primary just back of her - means she sets the pace and has to think about what is in front. Her decision making is still lacking, but her general bike control is now good so I figure awareness will come with exposure and guidance.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Just done the same this week with my two eldest (7 & 8) and i was doing exactly the same as you with the positioning either trying to be slightly out but behind or with them both tailing me.I must admit i prefer them up front for now until they get more used to traffic especially the youngest who is a bit slower and kept falling too far behind.Overall it was good for them (and myself) to start this process and i hope to do more with them.
As for start age,it does not matter when you start with them,at least you are doing it !!! The roads a nasty places for us big people so they must be maga scary for mini-me's ! :eek:
Well done :thumbsup:

In answer to the DfT Instructor Trainer primary, IS the default position that one should adopt. Secondary is taken up only when it is safe for you to allow drivers to pass you. The fact that one uses primary a minority of the time does not detract from it being the default position.

This sort of thinking from someone associated with the DfT shows just how far we have come, and how far we have yet to go to get cyclists respected by drivers.

I write as a Bikeability trainer, and a trainer of Bikeability trainers.

Top Bottom