First run out on the Giro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thewrinklyninja

Been out twice this weekend. Same 30 mile route both times. Second time definitely easier. My butt cheeks are sore though :ohmy:. Need to build up my recumbent muscles. I had no trouble filtering through traffic, becuase of the high seat height of the Giro I was fairly confident and was able to easily balance. I actually felt it was easier to stay clipped while slow moving than on my DF bike!. Had a couple of shouts of "get a proper bike!". But most people just beeped and waved. Must not be a lot of recumbents in Yorkshire.

Here's a pic of how I have currently got the bike set up. Fairly straight seat back, as I get used to it I'll recline it more. The only modification so far has been swapping out the stock Tektro brake levers for some Avid Speed Dial 7's. Much nicer braking now.

000_0417.jpg

That looks very neat - I like the colour very much. Welcome to the pleasurable world of recumbents.

I did 28.5 miles today on my trike - the furthest I've ridden a bike for perhaps 25 years. No recumbent butt, but I have a mesh seat. Seemed like there was plenty left in the legs too. In less than 2 miles on a DF I am in agony, so it's 'bents for me from now on.

OP
OP
thewrinklyninja

thewrinklyninja

The ride is very nice. The recurve seat has big soft cushion you sit on the back of the seat is mesh so that helps to smooth out the ride. Also the frame is steel which I believe soaks up some road noise.

stevew

Crackle said:
There's no suspension is there: How was the ride?

Can't be sure about the Giro but I have a Bacchetta Cafe which has a longer wheel base but the ride position is the same and although there is no suspension the ride is really smooth due to the give in the steel main tube. Guess the Cafe will be a bit more flexible compared with the Giro because the wheelbase is 10" longer but there is some interesting reading on the Bacchetta web site regarding the selection of the main tube which is not round but has a pear shaped cross section. http://www.bacchettabikes.com/company/framedesign.htm
I have the seat much more reclined and the weight is spread out over your back and not just on your bum. I find it much more comfortable like that but it has to be done in little steps whilst you get used to the 'bent riding position.

Arch said:
I think you'll find it has the same twin annular pneumatic suspension that any bike has...:tongue:

Yes but with not as much ability to retract your annular in the event of a large pothole :biggrin:

OP
OP
thewrinklyninja

thewrinklyninja

Got the seat rclined more now as I am getting used to it. Definately getting used to the hills and not being able to hoof it up then, instead getting into my 3rd to lowest gear and spinning up. Weather being good this Sat I am gonna do the longest hilliest route I have done on it so far. Wrose to Bolton Abbey and back.

OP
OP
thewrinklyninja

thewrinklyninja

Well, I did Bolton Abbey and back and was positivley knacked by the end of it but I did it!. Was definately the most hilly route so far but I am starting to get the knack of hills on a recumbent. Had a nice few conversations about the bike with passers by at the Abbey pavillion. Needs to get more hills bagged on the Bachetta ready for the White Rose Classic sportive in July.

Top Bottom