first solo tour in france

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sjp1992

so I'm planning my first time on my bike alone in france and i have to say I'm very excited ha but i do not no whats best to do would i be better camping and carrying the extra weight around or save up money and have hotel stops every night if anyone could help with there experience it would be greatly appreciated

It comes down to what do you like - If you don't like camping then don't do it - ditto for hotels - I camp - I love camping and don't like hotels

Extra weight for camping is proportional to how comfortable you want to be when camped - many on here are quite happy to be minimal - I tend to go the other way

France is dead easy for camping so preplanning is not necessary - Im not that experienced in the hotel game but if you are going to find reasonably priced accomodation i would suggest that some preplanning is necessary

robgul

Legendary Member
I'm firmly in the hotel lobby (!) - there are loads of very cheap chains (F1, Premier Classe etc) - pretty basic but good value - often situated in industrial areas, but does that matter? Carrying loads of camping stuff and the possibility of bad weather/packing a wet tent etc is just a turn-off for me.

Most hotels will call your next planned stop and make a booking for you - or look at the websites and book online - easy!

Rob

snorri

Legendary Member
whats best to do would i be better camping and carrying the extra weight around or save up money and have hotel stops every night
When touring in France you are unlikely to be far from cafes, restaurants, supermarkets, rural shops etc., so you could just take a tent, sleeping bag and bed roll, and eat out, this might be termed camping lite.
Or you could go the whole hog and take along food, stove, pan(s), plates, cutlery, potato peeler etc., leaving you almost self supporting and independent of the area you are passing through, but carrying considerably more in weight and bulk.
It will be more expensive, but I find camping lite with the odd night in a hotel or hostel gives a better insight into life in the area I'm passing through than a full on camping tour which some might find to be a bit lonely.
Decisions decisions:smile:.

As has been noted, France is well served with campsites and restaraunts. On my last Pyreneean jaunt I took a minimalist tent/mat/bag and ate out. If the weather turns, you can splash out on a room. This way you can get away with minimal planing and thinking ahead.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
That's a plan too. If I had minimalist camping kit I might use it. But I haven't, and I'd not fancy sleeping on the ground these days. Cheap restaurants abound - I probably acaraged about £20 a night, eating very well and getting pissed most nights :cheers:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm firmly in the hotel lobby (!) - there are loads of very cheap chains (F1, Premier Classe etc)
How do you know which take bikes (like Premier Inn and Travelodge in the UK, Stayokay in NL), or do you just try to sneak them up to the rooms?

I used a Gelhert Solo tent £21.00, the closest modern version seems to be Yellowstone Manhatten 1.
Cost 1 hotel night and if it lasts for 2 weeks you are quids in. Mine is still usable after about 3x fortnight tours. It survived some summer rainstorms and packs downvery small. Interior space is cozy or cramped depending on your size.
The ultralight options of tarps really dont work in commercial campsites.

robgul

Legendary Member
How do you know which take bikes (like Premier Inn and Travelodge in the UK, Stayokay in NL), or do you just try to sneak them up to the rooms?

Only ever had one problem (and that was at an IBIS and we had to leave bikes locked together under the stairs in the lobby) - just make the assumption, don't mention the bike to the receptionist and take it to the room.

At one place, an Etap, we got there and the receptionist chap said - "Ah, les velos" and gave us the two accessible/disabled rooms which were rather bigger than the regular ones!

Rob

fraefreuchie

Veteran
The Pemiere Classe chain (whilst not first class but functional) is particularly cycle friendly because the rooms open onto an external corridor front and back. If you are on the ground floor you can effectively wheel your bike from the car park to your front door. I'm with Dave Davenport - you are much more likely to meet like minded people on a campsite than in a soulless hotel.

you are much more likely to meet like minded people on a campsite than in a soulless hotel.

I suppose the answer is to go to hotels with a soul - however, also I agree with Mr Davenport - I'm not a particularly sociable geezer but i'm plagued with people coming over to talk to me when i am camping

Top Bottom