First SPD pedals - a couple of questions...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
OK so I'm over-analysing again, but looking at shoes it would seem that the non-waterproof Shimano MT42 (£55) + overshoes would cost roughly the same as the waterproof (GoreTex) Shimano MT60 (£80).....
wacko.gif

Holdsworth

Über Member
Have a look at the BBB Hardwear overshoes, they retail for around the £25 mark and are meant to be pretty good. I will be looking at getting myself a pair for over the winter months.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...OES-BBB-Hardwear-Winter-Overshoes/BBBAZOSH200

Tyke

Aren't bikes supposed to have bells and such as well?

New bikes have to be sold with a bell but it is not a legal requirement so can be removed if you don't want it.

New bikes don't have to be sold with front and rear reflectors but they are a legal requirement so you should have them.

I don't get that but Hay

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Well, I've gone and done it – MT42 shoes and M520 pedals just ordered from Chain Reaction Cycles with an extra 10% off today :thumbsup:

Rather than spending £25 on overshoes, the bargain hunter in me couldn't resist going for the "get ready for winter" special from Planet-X... overshoes, beanie and Smart 7-lux lights for only £20. I reckon those lights will do nicely as a backup if I get Magic Shines, and I'm fairly certain the beanie will keep me warm :biggrin:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
They look interesting, particularly as they can also be used with normal shoes.... hadn't thought that might be worth considering, as I'm sure at some point I'll take the bike on holiday to Center Parcs. Thanks
thumbsup.png

These are the pedals that I've got on my commuter, and I really like the option of being able to just jump on wearing trainers. In reality I only use it without my proper shoes 5% of the time, if that, but for me it's worth it.

I see that you have already made your purchase, so the advice above is too late!

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
These are the pedals that I've got on my commuter, and I really like the option of being able to just jump on wearing trainers. In reality I only use it without my proper shoes 5% of the time, if that, but for me it's worth it.

I see that you have already made your purchase, so the advice above is too late!

LOL! Thanks benb :whistle:

I decided that the overwhelming advice (both here, and from those who I've spoken to) is to go for double-sided clips... the M520's seem to be well recommended too, and they're a nice price at only £23 with cleats.

Hi there,
Know you've had lots of advice ind ideas etc but just wanted to add that I love M520's. Have had them on my last two bikes and can't recommend them enough! Really easy to clean and maintain (as in I've never really had to do anything to them apart from the occasional blast with WD40!). If you get chance can you let me know what the Planet X gear is like when it comes through?...I'm very tempted!!!
Russ

p.s. When I fitted my pedals on both bikes had to adjust the seat height to compensate...just a thought if the ride position feels a bit weird when you first try them
smile.gif

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Hi there,
Know you've had lots of advice ind ideas etc but just wanted to add that I love M520's. Have had them on my last two bikes and can't recommend them enough! Really easy to clean and maintain (as in I've never really had to do anything to them apart from the occasional blast with WD40!). If you get chance can you let me know what the Planet X gear is like when it comes through?...I'm very tempted!!!

Will do :thumbsup: . Frankly, I couldn't see why I should spend £20+ for overshoes alone, when I can get them with "free" beanie and lights. My bald patch is getting bigger and there's lots of air vents in my helmet, so I'm sure that beanie will come in handy :biggrin:

p.s. When I fitted my pedals on both bikes had to adjust the seat height to compensate...just a thought if the ride position feels a bit weird when you first try them
smile.gif

Thanks Russ, I'll bear that in mind.... I tweaked my saddle to the point it felt right and actually measured it the other day – for me it turns out the right height follows the 109% rule (bit higher than with the straight-leg-with-heel-on-pedal approach). Anticipate the saddle might need to go up a wee bit more once the SPD's are on.

Daveb99

Sorry to jump in on this thread but I've just ordered some M520 pedals as well, for my Secteur Sport.

Can anyone recommend some good, inexpensive shoes which I can walk in, i.e probably SPD MTB shoes but ones that don't look too chunky, ie just enough tread to cover the cleats. I've seen the Shimano M063's for about £45, are they any good?

Also what's the score with sizes, I'm usually size 8.5 (42-43) but would I need to buy bigger?

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Size larger with Shimano's seems to be the rule of thumb. I'm usually a size 10 and I've ordered a size 45, so hopefully they'll be fine – I tried a 46 on in-store but they were too big, the 44 was too tight, and there was no 45 in stock predictably enough!

I went for Shimano MT42 (£55 here) simply because I preferred the styling... pretty sure those M063's would be fine :smile:

Wades

I have shimano MT33 shoes and M520 pedals I originally had on my MTB but have transferred them to the new road bike as I was sure I was going to break my neck sooner or later.

Not quite the right style i'll admit but they sure are comfy and the pedals are very reliable.

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
Size larger with Shimano's seems to be the rule of thumb. I'm usually a size 10 and I've ordered a size 45, so hopefully they'll be fine – I tried a 46 on in-store but they were too big, the 44 was too tight, and there was no 45 in stock predictably enough!

I went for Shimano MT42 (£55 here) simply because I preferred the styling... pretty sure those M063's would be fine :smile:

That's kinda answered my next query on my own thread about sizes for shoes. Seeing as i'm also a size 10, ordering a size 45 should hopefully be fine here too. :thumbsup:

Can't help with the shoes, i just use the Lidl ones but a big thumbs up for the M520 pedals, i've had mine a couple of months now and think they're great. Paid about £30 for them.:thumbsup:

Dave Crampton

I have M540 SPD's which are great. I was told to get the cheepest (Edinburgh Bike Coop) SPDs and then not bother servicing them once a year but at £20 just replace them. I did that for my MTB but they are not as easy/swish to clip into as the M540s so I'm going to get another pair of M540s for the MTB as well. In fact looking for the links in the post EBC have M520 at £19 (cheeper than the EBC own brand). The M540s have been great and didn't clog even in the local muddy wood we ride in.

I got a pair of Specialized shoes as they were the ones recomended when I asked for shoes easy to walk in and most like normal walking shoes. Plus I was told Specialized made the widest (perhaps only in their shop) shoes, so most comfortable.

I also have a pair of these Neoprene overshoes. They do keep the water (and mud) out even when you step in a muddy puddle up to the top, but when commuting they do not allow my feet to breath so I take a spare pair of socks to change into at work.

Top Bottom