First SPD pedals - a couple of questions...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
OK so this might well be my first stupid question, but hey – noobs are allowed at least one in their first week, right?
blush.gif

I'm looking at getting my first clip-in pedals and shoes and am looking for some advice.... From my interweb searching, it's clear that people recommend the Shimano M520 (or even the M530) and I don't see any reason not to give them a go as they're a good price, and I'm on a tight budget.

However, I've started commuting a few days a week, and – if my wife lets me (!) – I plan to continue commuting through the winter (she has a fear of me cycling in the dark). If I'm not mistaken, pedals need reflectors to be road-legal at night, and those M520's don't seem to have them....

So – stupid question alert – are there better, "road-legal after dark" options that won't break the bank?

My second related (potentially stupid) question.... I had anticipated getting waterproof shoes, but they don't seem to be that common, and the Gore-Tex ones I've found are very expensive – does everybody just use these 'overshoe' things?

Ideally I would have liked to get clipped-in, be road-legal and dry for around £100 but I'm not sure that can be done. Help please!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Don't worry about reflectors on pedals. No one that rides clipless has them and no one has been pulled up for not having them either.

adds21

Rider of bikes
My second related (potentially stupid) question.... I had anticipated getting waterproof shoes, but they don't seem to be that common, and the Gore-Tex ones I've found are very expensive – does everybody just use these 'overshoe' things?

And if you're on a budget, you can't beat using a couple of those plastic freezer bags to keep your feet dry. Over sock, under shoe. Job done.

Personally, I don't bother much. For anything less than an hour or so, I'm happy just to have wet feet.

PpPete

Legendary Member
What he Ian said.

Just make sure you have some seriously good lights, front and rear. Smart 1/2 Watt (Polaris or Lunar models) at the back are a good benchmark. Two of those on the back of your bike and no one would be able to see if you had pedal reflectors fitted or not.
The Smart 35 Lux front are not bad either - especially at this price, unless you are on very dark lanes.

Overshoes - I've never thought of Goretex as being robust enough for footwear. Get some neoprene overshoes for the really cold / wet days

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Don't worry about reflectors on pedals. No one that rides clipless has them and no one has been pulled up for not having them either.

Fair enough – thanks.

And if you're on a budget, you can't beat using a couple of those plastic freezer bags to keep your feet dry. Over sock, under shoe. Job done.

Personally, I don't bother much. For anything less than an hour or so, I'm happy just to have wet feet.

Mmm... thanks adds21. I can totally see why it would work, but I'm really not sure about using plastic bags – not exactly the most breathable solution!

Currently I'm using relatively stiff soled walking shoes of the typical suede upper type, and I've got my feet soaked twice. They're obviously not proper clip-in cycling shoes, so I'd really like to cuff two birds with one stone – get clipped in and get waterproof enough to withstand the hour-long commute if it's chucking it down.

Any more recommendations? I'd spotted the Shimano MT60 but they are expensive....

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
What he Ian said.

Just make sure you have some seriously good lights, front and rear. Smart 1/2 Watt (Polaris or Lunar models) at the back are a good benchmark. Two of those on the back of your bike and no one would be able to see if you had pedal reflectors fitted or not.
The Smart 35 Lux front are not bad either - especially at this price, unless you are on very dark lanes.

Overshoes - I've never thought of Goretex as being robust enough for footwear. Get some neoprene overshoes for the really cold / wet days

Thanks PpPete! Lights were my next stupid-noob post
biggrin.gif
Those Smart 35 Lux are a good price! I already have a BikeHut light, but I've never been out in the dark winter mornings (or nights) with it... I need to look at it and see what the power output is so I can compare, but I'm really not sure it would be up to my unlit commuting route (footpath through trees, some road, road etc...). I've only done it in the light so far, but I'd bet it'll get pretty dark!!

Ian 74

I didn't know that about reflectors.... Never mind... Aren't bikes supposed to have bells and such as well?

I wouldn't worry about reflectors on the pedals but I would get a kick ass set of lights fitted to the bike and a lovely hi viz jacket for your winter commute. When it gets colder those over shoe thingys are great, I use a water proof sock as well (more for the insulating properties) I think they are called seal skins.

They (the pedals) take a bit of getting used to but will take your cycling to the next level, you will fall of at least once whilst stationary clipped in, in a graceful slow motion but don't worry it happens to everybody....

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
M324 pedals can take reflectors.

They look interesting, particularly as they can also be used with normal shoes.... hadn't thought that might be worth considering, as I'm sure at some point I'll take the bike on holiday to Center Parcs. Thanks
thumbsup.png

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
You can get plastic flat clipins with the reflectors if you are concerned. My M520's came with a set. As has been said as long as the bike is well lit the chances are getting pulled for not having pedal reflectors are pretty much zero.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I didn't know that about reflectors.... Never mind... Aren't bikes supposed to have bells and such as well?

LOL! Got one of those as it turns out (bike's new after all) – pretty handy on the cycle-paths to alert dog-walkers of my presence
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't worry about reflectors on the pedals but I would get a kick ass set of lights fitted to the bike and a lovely hi viz jacket for your winter commute. When it gets colder those over shoe thingys are great, I use a water proof sock as well (more for the insulating properties) I think they are called seal skins.
They (the pedals) take a bit of getting used to but will take your cycling to the next level, you will fall of at least once whilst stationary clipped in, in a graceful slow motion but don't worry it happens to everybody....

Hopefully when I fall off, it will indeed be graceful!

You can get plastic flat clipins with the reflectors if you are concerned. My M520's came with a set. As has been said as long as the bike is well lit the chances are getting pulled for not having pedal reflectors are pretty much zero.

Thanks – interesting to know that the M520's actually do come with optional reflectors, but yes, being well lit is my next priority!!

fimm

Veteran
If you want to conform to the spirit if not the letter of the law, get some reflective ankle bands. The up-and-down motion of peddling feet is good at indicating a cyclist. (I experimented with a little light on my off-side ankle for a while, until I lost it!)

+1 for neoprene overshoes. And warm socks - my other half likes his "Seal Skins" - I do well with a pair of old woollen walking socks. I don't think you can really expect to keep your feet dry, the best you can hope for is warm and wet. It doesn't rain as much as people think it does, anyway.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
If you want to conform to the spirit if not the letter of the law, get some reflective ankle bands. The up-and-down motion of peddling feet is good at indicating a cyclist. (I experimented with a little light on my off-side ankle for a while, until I lost it!)
Thanks fimm – that's a great idea!

+1 for neoprene overshoes. And warm socks - my other half likes his "Seal Skins" - I do well with a pair of old woollen walking socks. I don't think you can really expect to keep your feet dry, the best you can hope for is warm and wet. It doesn't rain as much as people think it does, anyway.
It sounds like it's not worth me spending Gore-Tex money on shoes, and investing in these overshoe things instead. Probably will get seal skins, or some other dedicated cycling socks too.

TBH I'm new to "technical" clothing of any description.... I picked up cycling shorts, gillet and a boil-in-the-bag waterproof from Lidl's in the Spring in readiness for getting out on my bike. Now that I'm out every other day and commuting a few times a week (hoping to continue through the cold dark Winter months), I'm going to have to think about more clothing. Already ditched the not-so-water-only-make-you-hotter-proof in favour of a day-glo one from Mountain Warehouse that cooks me in less time and keeps slightly less water out. So much to learn......
blush.gif

Top Bottom