First Sportive (and first crash!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Well, it's now been around a year since I started up cycling again after moving back to the UK, and I just accomplished my target for the year - my first sportive, the Exmouth Exterminator.

The route was 60 miles with 4635ft climbing, and I finished in 4hrs 14mins - just good enough to sneak in for a silver medal :smile:

Unfortunately I also managed my first proper wipe-out, around 45 miles in :sad: Going along a rather fast gentle descent in a group of riders, I failed to match their dextrous cornering and went wide on a corner... ploughed into a hedge, then flew over the handlebars and head first into the hedge bank.

The other riders were fantastic, and made sure I was up on my feet before moving on - if any of them happen to read this, thank you very much! Both the bike and I survived intact, although I am sporting a pretty good black eye and a cracked helmet.

>>> Whatever else anyone says about helmets, I'm sure glad I was wearing mine today!!! <<<

So, while I'm not sure the day counts as a particular success (what with the subsequent trip to A&E to rule out concussion), I'm still pleased with the time, and felt like I had a few miles left in me at the end... Next year's target is now the full century (minus trip to A&E).

Top Bottom