First sportive questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Planning on doing my first sportive in August. A couple of stupid beginner questions then. Do they normally provide more normal food at feed stations alongside the energy gels? Not a fan of the gels. Also, is there normally provision for refilling water bottles with plain old water at the feed stations? Basic questions, but I need to plan what to take with me. ;)

S-Express

Usually plenty of water available. As for food, you'd have to ask the organisers..

rivers

How far can I go?
I have only done 3 sportives, but this is what I found:
One stop was a cafe, and were selling bacon sandwiches, sausage baps, coffee and the like. The staff were re-filling water bottle for the cyclists.
Another was a table outside a pub with massive drinks coolers full of water that were constantly being topped up. This is more the norm from what I've seen.
Another had tables of cakes, nuts, etc that were free. Another sportive were selling cakes and bacon sandwiches. Free coffee and squash, both had drinks coolers for topping up water.
None of the sportives I've done had gels at the stops, but a variety of food, some free, some for sale. Two of them had free food (hog roast at one, Cowshed grilling at the other) for cyclists at the end. All had water at every stop.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
As above, the food stations generally provide stuff like flapjack, cake, jelly beans, peanuts, energy bars and drinks (depending who is sponsoring the event) plus plain water.
Some do sausage rolls or pork pies, tea and coffee and choccy biscuits and occasionally you'll find some provide hot food at the end (Vélo 29 do sausage sandwiches :hungry:).

The event organisers normally state to bring your own food, but I've never needed much out of my own supply apart from some Haribo Tangfastic. :okay:

Who is running the sportive?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
How long is the ride? No cafes en route?
Ride London was only gels, energy bars, bananas. My lunch came from a petrol station, the rest I took with. I didbt eat much of it.
70 miles. There might be, I'd have to check.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
As above, the food stations generally provide stuff like flapjack, cake, jelly beans, peanuts, energy bars and drinks (depending who is sponsoring the event) plus plain water.
Some do sausage rolls or pork pies, tea and coffee and choccy biscuits and occasionally you'll find some provide hot foods at the end (Vélo 29 do sausage sandwiches :hungry:).

The event organisers normally state to bring your own food, but I've never needed much out of my own supply apart from some Haribo Tangfastic. :okay:

Who is running the sportive?
Wiggle

Top Bottom