1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First sportive questions

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Welsh wheels, 17 Jul 2017 at 21:11.

Tags:
  1. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

Planning on doing my first sportive in August. A couple of stupid beginner questions then. Do they normally provide more normal food at feed stations alongside the energy gels? Not a fan of the gels. Also, is there normally provision for refilling water bottles with plain old water at the feed stations? Basic questions, but I need to plan what to take with me. ;)

2. S-Express

S-Express Über Member

Usually plenty of water available. As for food, you'd have to ask the organisers..

Welsh wheels likes this.
  3. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Just take food with you?

Welsh wheels likes this.
  4. rivers

rivers Well-Known Member

I have only done 3 sportives, but this is what I found:
    One stop was a cafe, and were selling bacon sandwiches, sausage baps, coffee and the like. The staff were re-filling water bottle for the cyclists.
    Another was a table outside a pub with massive drinks coolers full of water that were constantly being topped up. This is more the norm from what I've seen.
    Another had tables of cakes, nuts, etc that were free. Another sportive were selling cakes and bacon sandwiches. Free coffee and squash, both had drinks coolers for topping up water.
    None of the sportives I've done had gels at the stops, but a variety of food, some free, some for sale. Two of them had free food (hog roast at one, Cowshed grilling at the other) for cyclists at the end. All had water at every stop.

Welsh wheels likes this.
  5. Only done a few but it's normally cakes some fruit biscuits etc. Stuff to keep you going.

Welsh wheels likes this.
  6. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

I will take food with me, but to avoid too much sagging I'll want to eat at stations as well.

7. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

How long is the ride? No cafes en route?
    Ride London was only gels, energy bars, bananas. My lunch came from a petrol station, the rest I took with. I didbt eat much of it.

Welsh wheels likes this.
  8. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

As above, the food stations generally provide stuff like flapjack, cake, jelly beans, peanuts, energy bars and drinks (depending who is sponsoring the event) plus plain water.
    Some do sausage rolls or pork pies, tea and coffee and choccy biscuits and occasionally you'll find some provide hot food at the end (Vélo 29 do sausage sandwiches :hungry:).

The event organisers normally state to bring your own food, but I've never needed much out of my own supply apart from some Haribo Tangfastic. :okay:

Who is running the sportive?

Last edited: 17 Jul 2017 at 21:37
    Welsh wheels likes this.
  9. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

70 miles. There might be, I'd have to check.

10. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

Wiggle

11. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

Thanks folks. Sounds like there should be plenty of decent grub to keep me going.

12. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

Wiggle Sportives generally have loads to go at - flapjack, cake, nuts, jelly beans, bananas, choice of energy drinks (or plain water). You'll not go hungry! :ohmy:

Welsh wheels likes this.
  13. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

Sounds good to me. I'll have to be careful not to eat too much, otherwise I'll struggle!

NorthernDave likes this.
  14. Ian193

Ian193 Senior Member

If your going to use gels or energy bars find out what brands they are going to supply and try them before hand the last thing u want is the supplied ones causing problems with your stomach

NorthernDave and Welsh wheels like this.
  15. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

Going to avoid those, and go for natural foods if I can. Nasty things.

Banjo and NorthernDave like this.