First time doing bar tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I also prefer starting at the top and working down rather than the video clips which show the other method.
Yep, me too.
I don’t like to see sticky tape holding the bar tape in place in the middle.
Me too. I have wrapped exactly 3 sets of drop bars now (not counting the ones I did as a kid that used to get a good layer of my dad's best black electrical tape :laugh:) I reckon finishing at the top with a wrap of sticky tape is the ultimate unnecessary bodge and ruins it for me. I'm happy with my attempts, not perfect in my eyes but good enough and a tidy job by most accounts. By the time I have done about 10-15 goes I think I should have it nailed :okay:

Globalti

Legendary Member
The reason why it's conventional to wrap from the ends inwards is because of the overlap of each turn of tape on top of its neighbour. Coming outwards means that if you slide your hands forwards towards the hoods you are going against the overlap.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
There is one advantage to having the tape finish at the top and held in place by a strip of sticky tape. If you need to replace the cable casing for brakes or shifters then it is easy to unwrap the bar tape as far as the brifters and then re-wrap the same tape neatly so no one will know.

Globalti

Legendary Member
After I graduated I had a job in a bike factory in Darlaston. One of my duties was wrapping the bar tape on the 10 speed racers. Nobody showed me how to do it so I wrapped thousands going outwards, trapping the thin vinyl tape in the middle then plugging out at the end. So if you bought a cheapo British-made bike in 1979 or 1980 and the bar tape came unwrapped first time out, you can blame me.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There is one advantage to having the tape finish at the top and held in place by a strip of sticky tape. If you need to replace the cable casing for brakes or shifters then it is easy to unwrap the bar tape as far as the brifters and then re-wrap the same tape neatly so no one will know.

This is the exact reason I use leccy tape. Far easier to change cables this way.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I find that they don't supply enough tape

This is true. I swear it was longer when I was a kid, or maybe my handlebars were shorter.

Levo-Lon

Guru
The reason why it's conventional to wrap from the ends inwards is because of the overlap of each turn of tape on top of its neighbour. Coming outwards means that if you slide your hands forwards towards the hoods you are going against the overlap.

Indeed,they soon get tatty done that way.

si_c

Guru
Nice job there! Far better than the first few times I wrapped my handlebars. I usually wrap from the ends inwards, in part because as @Globalti said earlier being unable to move my hands without catching on the tape would drive me mad. That being said I really want to try to get something like this one day on one of the Pugs.

4824991949_c304ca8c38.jpg

mgs315

There ought to be some kind of slimline neat jubilee clip that you could use to finish it off instead of ugly insulating tape. (Spots business opportunity and runs to crowdfunder)

Never tried it so no idea if it’ll work but maybe heatshrink over the bars first before all the other gubbins then hot air gun at the end? Would be a one-hit wonder thing though.

Either that or wrap so far up that you can hide the seams in the stem assembly?

Top Bottom