first time fixed gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Another one with two brakes on his fixed here, as others have said the gearing is a bit high, I run 44x18 on mine, 65 inch gear.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Thats a huge gear, is it totally flat round by you?
Yes pretty flat route there are a couple of small bumps, have tried a 17, 15, 13, tooth on the back am now on a 14, the seventeen i just seem to be spinning to much, will see how it goes when the other half gets back on her bike, was going to have a few runs on the fixie with her, that way she should keep up.

ayceejay

Guru
After I fractured my pelvis and was in the rehabilitation stage I needed to regain my strength and my confidence, balancing and stopping suddenly were the biggest obstacles or worries. I have always ridden fixed for at least part of the season so I spent some weeks with my fixed bike fixed to a trainer and this proved to be a success: can I suggest that you do the same thereby bypassing the thing that rightly worries you while building up strength and flexibility.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
After I fractured my pelvis and was in the rehabilitation stage I needed to regain my strength and my confidence, balancing and stopping suddenly were the biggest obstacles or worries. I have always ridden fixed for at least part of the season so I spent some weeks with my fixed bike fixed to a trainer and this proved to be a success: can I suggest that you do the same thereby bypassing the thing that rightly worries you while building up strength and flexibility.
It's more fun on the rollers.:whistle:

OP
OP
getinthevan

getinthevan

Just a quick update if anyone is interested/bothered.
Been riding the bike for about 6 weeks now, and I'm a lot more confident on it, also my ankle is about 90% now, which is good!
I found myself never ever using the rear brake, so I've took it off. I've learnt to control most of my speed using my legs, I hardly use the front brake tbh, unless i need to stop quicker. Don't worry though, I'm not stupid enough to take that one off!
I didn't like the bars much, so I've cut the drops off and flipped them into bullhorns. (no point buying a set when i can make my own with what I've got!)
The bike feels really comfortable to ride now.
Oh and i took advantage of a but of snow a few days ago and learnt how to skid stop in it. i can almost do it in the saddle now, but not quite there yet!

I'll post a pic of the bike later on :smile:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Just a quick update if anyone is interested/bothered.
Been riding the bike for about 6 weeks now, and I'm a lot more confident on it, also my ankle is about 90% now, which is good!
I found myself never ever using the rear brake, so I've took it off. I've learnt to control most of my speed using my legs, I hardly use the front brake tbh, unless i need to stop quicker. Don't worry though, I'm not stupid enough to take that one off!
I didn't like the bars much, so I've cut the drops off and flipped them into bullhorns. (no point buying a set when i can make my own with what I've got!)
Oh and i took advantage of a but of snow a few days ago and learnt how to skid stop in it. i can almost do it in the saddle now, but not quite there yet!

I have only used my rear brake a couple of times in the 5 years I have been riding fixed but boy was I pleased it was there to use.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have only used my rear brake a couple of times in the 5 years I have been riding fixed but boy was I pleased it was there to use.

I actually STILL wear out rear rims on my fixed. Been through 3 sets (replace front too). I find having 3 brakes helps - this commuting in Manchester's subburbs - lots of brakes essential.

OP
OP
getinthevan

getinthevan

heres the bike.
bars cut into bulls with new tape, and an ass saver on the back of the saddle.

29o0282.jpg

I built my fixie without a rear brake some years ago and within a week had put it back on. If you do any faster descents (30mph+ feels pretty fast fixed), then it is not a bad idea to have two brakes.

I rarely use my rear, but on a fast descent it's noce to know it's there. My gearing changes, but is in the 65-69" area, which means descending at 33-35mph is realistic. At those speeds it is nice to have that extra bit of retardation when you feel the need.

As to home-made bullhorns, I did the same thing. They are OK, but I do think it was a better ride before I took a hacksaw to them.

Keep enjoying the bike!

Top Bottom