first time fixed gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

getinthevan

hi everyone,

i've just ordered my first fixed gear bike, a fuji feather 2012.

i've wanted a fixed gear bike for a while now, after riding bmx for the best part of 8-9 years i decided i was growing out of it and the injuries were getting more frequent.

i broke my ankle quite badly in november, and that was the final straw for my bmx days.

i've been able to walk again for the past 3 weeks now, with a limp, and my physiotherapist told me cycling was a good way to strengthen my ankle, so my question is this...

how much strain does slowing yourself down, or skidding, put on your ankles on a fixed gear bike?

and what advice can you give me in general when it comes to a newbie riding a fixed gear?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Absolutely loads in terms of brake less and skidding.

This web forum is the best for fixie stuff.....but be warned they eat their own on there...:smile:

www.lfgss.com

djb1971

Legendary Member
I would if I was you. I'm no fashion hipster and have correct brakes on my bikes.

If I want to stop in a hurry I can using brakes and legs. Your legs will learn To control speed on descents. Just don't try it with a loaded bike on a steep hill or with a silly gear and don't force it. Until you've become used to riding fixed ( which doesn't take too long ) I would rather be safe on the bike and not want to cause any damage to muscles or anything else for that matter.

Btw, you'll only really remember to stop pedalling at speed once!

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I would speak to your physio: I very much doubt fixie-skidding was what they had in mind, when they recommended cycling.

46x16 is 75.6 gear inches, which is a tall gear for an experienced, healthy rider and will put considerable strain on their joints. For a novice with a freshly healed ankle I think it is, to put it politely, ill-advised.

At the very least you should flip the wheel over to the freewheel and swap that out for an 18t: it's common practice to have a larger freewheel than the fixed cog anyway.

jim55

Guru
as above riding fixed can put a strain on joints ,you obv cant stop pedalling if your foot is a bit sore ,if it was me id run single speed (freewheel down hills and gives u a wee rest )
your gear ratio is not really big on the flat but remember to get up to speed youl prob need to get out of the saddle and stand up on the pedals (away from lights and stuff )and hills are a potential hard slog at the best of times ,get a freewheel

tyred

Legendary Member
Unless you live somewhere unusually flat or regularly ride in excess of 20mph on the flat, I would definitely drop that gear ratio. 75" is too high for most people.

Another vote for 2 brakes, especially with your ankle problem, no point in putting unnecessary strain on it trying to leg brake when you can use two perfectly good proper brakes.

I ran my Fuji Feather 46 x 16 as a commuter. I found this to be fine for riding where I live, (not too hilly unless you want it to be), but although I too broke my ankle years ago I'd also change the gearing in your position until your ankle strengthens up.

The first thing I'd do anyway with the Feather is to get the stock cog and lock ring off as they're cheap $hit TBH, and a decent cog is not expensive.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Another vote for 2 brakes. To be fair I rarely use the rear but on a couple of occassions I have been very thankful that it was an option.

rb58

Enigma
Basically the rear brake is used as a drag brake when going down hills, you're new to fixed, you'll need it, in my opinion.
For me too. When I first started, the rear brake was helpful moderating cadence on downhills until I got the hang of using my legs. And as my bike has normal road levers having just one make it look 'unbalanced'.

OP
OP
getinthevan

getinthevan

The bike came today, tried it at first fixed to see what it was like, but it did put a bit of strain on my ankle.
Running it single speed with both the brakes for the time being. When summer comes round i might flip the wheel and try fixed.

Loving it so far though, i feel a bit stretched forward when I'm holding the drops, but i think that is just because I'm not used to riding a bike like this yet. The frame is 61cm, but I'm 6ft 3 with a 35" inseam so i think the fit is about right.

The gearing doesn't feel to bad if I'm being honest, but then I've not tried any big hills yet!

Top Bottom