First Time London Communter - Advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Bug said:
I think my greatest danger will be tonight when I have to ask people to get out of the seats in the bicycle area of the train at Waterloo. I can see the lack of co-operation already, though SWT have told me that cycles have priority in that area. It's not a problem on the way up as the train is practically empty when I join.

I've had a few problems with this matter, including someone who was standing in the bike space who refused to move and thus causing me to block that part of the train.
I simply stood with my bike blocking him in until he got p*ssed off and eventually moved.

One of the probs with the cycle dedicated carriages is that there is 'sometimes' a bicycle symbol on the outside of the train but never anything inside to make this apparent.

BILBO

Cable Street

I would take the Cable Street cycle path from Tower Hill as this will take you most of the way to Canary Wharf.

Brains

Legendary Member
Waterloo, Millinium bridge, Eastcheap, Cable St, Narrow St is the route to start and then improve it

Crossing via Tower Bridge is not an option on a bike.

You also have an option if the train times match at Waterloo to get on a train to Greenwich and then cross the river via the foot tunnel (bikes go in the lift) and then 10 mins to Canary Wharf

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Why is crossing Tower Bridge not an option?

It's great fun. 20mph limit enforced by average speed cameras, so you can overtake all the cars, even when traffic is light!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
tdr1nka said:
One of the probs with the cycle dedicated carriages is that there is 'sometimes' a bicycle symbol on the outside of the train but never anything inside to make this apparent.
Up here we sometimes get neither - most of the time the guard sees me pacing the platform and will point to the right carriage mind :smile:

OP
OP
B

Bug

Thanks for the routes, guys. So far I have gone over Southwark Bridge, along The Highway & Narrow Street. 5 miles, 21:55 (yes, I haven't commuted for a long time), 13.4mph average.

I'm not sure what going along Cable Street will buy me as The Highway is very quick - 90% of my delays are in the section from Waterloo to Southwark Bridge Road. I'll give it a try tomorrow, though.

The train to Greenwich is an interesting idea, but my main compulsion is to lose weight, so that would be kind of counter-productive. Thanks, though.

I'm not sure that the extra distance involved in taking the A13 would be worth it, but I'll give it a try.

The other idea I had (which may be completely bonkers) is to go south of the river and use the Rotherhithe Tunnel. Is this a totally mad idea?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Most people will tell you it's mad, but it's good fun IMO. The air down there isn't great, but you can get some good speed up going down and then do your best to keep it up coming out.

20mph limit, so don't let people overtake you!

jely

if you want to go south of the river, ride through bermondsey, surrey quays, deptford to greenwich... go through the greenwich foot tunnel (but don't ride through it, i hate it when i see cyclists haven't dismounted - just do a brisk walk), and then you come up on the other side and ride to canary wharf that way...

you have to carry your bike up and down the stairs to get into the foot tunnel... but that's the fun part!!

i did it for the first time last night to get home (although i went the other way from the city - shadwell, westferry, canary wharf and then to greenwich) and i loved it!

jely

just reading the posts above.... i've always crossed tower bridge on my bike... am i not allowed to???

i know you definitely can't go through the Blackwall tunnel on a bike (i asked a policeman last night), and I wouldn't recommend going through the Rotherhithe tunnel...

there's a LIFT at the foot tunnel?? oooh, didn't see that... but i recommend carrying your bike up/down the stairs cause it's a more satisfying feeling when you get to the top/bottom.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
You are allowed to use the lift in the Greenwich tunnel.

You are allowed to cross Tower Bridge.

You are allowed to ride the Rotherhithe tunnel.

jely

jeepers, so many allowances...i just won't know what to do with myself! :biggrin:

i was merely making recommendations, i.e. you use the stairs instead of the lift at the tunnel if you are trying to keep the exercise up - we wouldn't want you to be counter-productive :thumbsup: ; and recommending you don't use the rotherhithe tunnel due to the amount of crap you'll get in your lungs... :ohmy:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Wasn't aiming any of that at you mate, was just trying to be definite on those points, some posters have made comments which might make people think there is an ambiguity

Top Bottom