First Time London Communter - Advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LOGAN 5

Bug said:
Well, I did it! I can't believe how flat that route is - I was cruising along at an easy 20mph. Not too many traffic lights either. The traffic at 8am wasn't particularly heavy - nothing worse than I've dealt with back home. I think you Londoners have been pulling the wool over our eyes - there's nothing scary about London... :smile:

They're all on holiday at the moment. Traffic is very light. Wait until it gets dark, wet, windy and much much busier. Good luck though, keep it up.

LOGAN 5 said:
They're all on holiday at the moment. Traffic is very light. Wait until it gets dark, wet, windy and much much busier. Good luck though, keep it up.
Yeah, but all that will happen so slowly that it doesn't really notice.

If I were to give any advice for cycling in London, it would be for you to ride assertively. I think it was Trillian who once said of London motorists: "They smell fear".

:smile:

OP
OP
B

Bug

I love traffic anyway. Overtaking stationary traffic, out-accelerating cars from the lights, to keep catching up again and again cars that overtook you as they get stuck the lights. These are the things that remind me why I'm on my bike - I'm having fun, I'm burning calories and I'm still getting there faster than them in their metal boxes! Maybe I'm strange but sometimes I find clear roads just a bit, well, boring...

As for the train comment - I didn't get to find out. I was 10 minutes delayed getting out of the office which meant I was 30 seconds too late for the train. So I was first onto the next one, giving me plenty of time to get the bike on. I can see the argument against asking people to move and I am happy to sit with my bike in the doorway, but not if I'm going to be told by the guard to get off the train 'cos I'm causing an obstruction. To be fair, however, there were six bikes this morning in a space meant for two and the guard didn't bat an eyelid.

jely

Bug said:
I love traffic anyway. Overtaking stationary traffic, out-accelerating cars from the lights, to keep catching up again and again cars that overtook you as they get stuck the lights. These are the things that remind me why I'm on my bike - I'm having fun, I'm burning calories and I'm still getting there faster than them in their metal boxes! Maybe I'm strange but sometimes I find clear roads just a bit, well, boring....

second that!! :smile::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom