First Time Long Distance Ride - guide/tips etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paranoidance

Hi there,

Am new to the forum and can't quite work out where best to post this and apologise if this is one of those all to frequent reposts, but my limited searching didn't come up with anything decisive.

Anyway, I want to cycle from London to Bristol but have never attempted a journey like this before. SO being a complete novice in this regard I wondered if anyone could point me to some comprehensive guides so I can start planning it (before I even map out a route I need a roadworthy bike with all the related, necessary appendages in place). I know there are tons of considerations regarding routes, type of bike (I will certainly have to find myself a new bike up to the challenge), essential gear, fitness and pacing etc.
Any checklists, guides, internet links or general tips for getting started would be much appreciated.

Thanks very mucho

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Build up gradually - increase your distance by about 10 miles a week until you can comfortably do half the distance.
Know how to fix basic problems (punctures, loose bolts, dodgy gears), and take the right tools and kit.
Pace yourself - both in training and on the day. Getting there later than planned is more satisfying than giving up.
Eat enough - which is much more than you think you need.
Drink enough - which is much more than you think you need.
Have fun. If it starts hurting too much, give up.

London to Bristol is a bit over 100 miles, without any stupidly big hill ranges in the middle. I'd reckon on that taking about 10 hours, allowing for stops.

OP
OP
P

Paranoidance

good advice, especially about the gradual build up.
My current bike is an old battered, cumbersome thing - what sort of bike is most appropriate, do you reckon? Or does it not really matter?

Cheers

snorri

Legendary Member
You don't say if you want to do it in one day, or two, or more. How many miles do you feel comfortable doing in one day at present?
If your bike is comfortable it could be ok, if it suits your present needs it seems extravagant to get another bike just for one trip to Bristol.

Tim Hall

Build up gradually - increase your distance by about 10 miles a week until you can comfortably do half the distance.
Know how to fix basic problems (punctures, loose bolts, dodgy gears), and take the right tools and kit.
Pace yourself - both in training and on the day. Getting there later than planned is more satisfying than giving up.
Eat enough - which is much more than you think you need.
Drink enough - which is much more than you think you need.
Have fun. If it starts hurting too much, give up.

In addition to the eaty drinky notes above, eat before you get hungry, drink before you get thirsty.

Top Bottom