First time out in months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vickivix

I started doing a little riding last summer, mostly 7 mile commutes a couple of days a week. I stopped when depression and anxiety kicked in.

After 7 months my medication didn't seem to be doing much so I went to the doc for a change. She offered me a different AD but also "prescribed" that I have to use my bike 3 times a week as exercise helps no end. So, on Monday I decided to cycle from work into the city centre to watch Leicester's parade then cycle back to work to collect the car.

Ok it was only 3 miles and I was shattered at the end of it (although when I got home I realised I'd got confused with my gears and had 9 more easy gears to go). Anxiety makes me so tired and I have little energy. But I slept better and I felt so much brighter the next day.

I plan to do another little spin tomorrow. Small acorns and all that.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Small steps but progress in the right direction. ^_^

When I was first diagnosed with Epilepsy I found cycling very therapeutic, I hope it works for you as well.

boydj

Legendary Member
Exercise is a great way of relieving stress and improving your mood, and cycling is a great way of getting into exercise for anybody who is not very fit.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I started doing a little riding last summer, mostly 7 mile commutes a couple of days a week. I stopped when depression and anxiety kicked in.

After 7 months my medication didn't seem to be doing much so I went to the doc for a change. She offered me a different AD but also "prescribed" that I have to use my bike 3 times a week as exercise helps no end. So, on Monday I decided to cycle from work into the city centre to watch Leicester's parade then cycle back to work to collect the car.

Ok it was only 3 miles and I was shattered at the end of it (although when I got home I realised I'd got confused with my gears and had 9 more easy gears to go). Anxiety makes me so tired and I have little energy. But I slept better and I felt so much brighter the next day.

Cycling is a fantastic way to escape the rat race and stress of day to day life, onwards and upwards as they say.

Mrs M

Guru
Well done.
:smile: :bicycle:

There are some really nice routes out towards Oadby and Knighton. If you do a few miles out towards the University halls, and the observatory up that way (especially during the summer months) you'll feel a lot better about things:okay:.

DEFENDER01

Über Member
I agree with all the above.
I suffer from bad knees and at times can hardly walk although riding my bike is no problem thank god for 24 gears.
When i go to the market i can ride quite close to the town center i get off my bike and use it like a two wheel zimmer frame. L.O.L. :okay:

Stevec047

Über Member
Well done and good luck with your cycling. Small steps and you will find your energy levels increasing and if your anything like me the anxiety and depression gets better the more you ride.

Looking forward to keeping up with your progress please keep us updated.

DaggersJeff

Excellent work Vicki!!!

Keep at it.....try and get together with a friend who cycles...maybe from here....you will have each other for inspiration

:bicycle:

OP
OP
V

Vickivix

Thanks for all the replies folks.

I don't have any cycling friends, well I do but they aren't at all local. But my friend has horses and she has asked if I want to cycle whilst she takes pony out on a hack.

Oadby is the other side of Leicester for me, I'm in Syston. There are some nice roads and I have Watermead close by so I have some good short routes to start with. Then when I've built up my fitness a bit I shall commute again. Most of that route is through parks.

Top Bottom