First tour- tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
My comment was simply that even if you find back to back centuries fairly easy, is not really a tour, it would be more like the peleton of an Audax.
There is no time to add a castle, beach, pub or wild night out into the schedule.

I'd agree, but each very much to their own.

This thread has inspired me though for this weekends overnighter / mini tour / micro adventure.. Whaddeva were calling it these days.. There's some nice rough ground above Porlock (for an overnight airing of the tent) about 40 miles ride from here, then go west across Exmoor (there's a good pub in Simonsbath) and back down Exe Valley as far as.. Who knows.. Use the train at some point along there, if I get tired or bored or not..

Thanks op for the nudge..

Enjoy your trippple century.
You should award yselves some kind of certificate for that :notworthy:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@rivers to answer your question I would suggest all you need is a rain jacket, change of kit, one set of street clothes, toothbrush and whatever tools, tubes etc. you usually carry.

100 miles a day is a lot for a tour and it sounds like you're planning to ride below 13mph. Might be long, long days.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
@rivers to answer your question I would suggest all you need is a rain jacket, change of kit, one set of street clothes, toothbrush and whatever tools, tubes etc. you usually carry.

100 miles a day is a lot for a tour and it sounds like you're planning to ride below 13mph. Might be long, long days.

"Street clothes"?

Have you been to Somerset??

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
:smile:
I've been.
But must admit not entirely sure where it is.

It’s here. Right here. Right now. Come on in. It’s luverly :thanks:

CC643055-9C39-4A69-B615-071DC0B54526.jpeg
im going to sommmmmmerzzzzet this Thursday, by bike, over night but I haven't got time to leaf through the top touring tips..............

Edited to add bike picture, I shall be taking 2 days and nights to cover the distance in a meandering style, mainly to wild camp and have some me time

Last edited:
Someone should invent 'a thing' that lets you find out where stuff is in the world, without actually having to go there to look for it -

- come on chaps lets get the hive mind behind this one...
I like to retain a little mystery in life.
Who knows, maybe I'll stray into that mythical place again.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You've covered what you need in your OP. There's really not much to a short credit card tour via hotels / B&Bs. Just comes down to what you want to wear in the evening. You will already know the rest of it from your multiple long days in the saddle. As far as kit goes, it's the same for one night away as several when using the same accommodation options.

If you plan to stick together come what may then great, else ensure everyone has the route and each other's phone numbers in case you get separated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom