First tour- tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I generally tour in my club jersey or another cycle jersey. I always wear bib shorts. It's nothing to do with being aero but everything to do with comfort. I think it's simply what I'm used. I recognise it's different strokes for different folks.

Wearing a club jersey I find is a great way for people to start a conversation. I once had a guy drive by, slow and flag me down. He was from my area, recognised the shirt and asked if I needed lunch or somewhere to stay.

I was in France about 500 miles from the Channel.

:rolleyes:
Had similar bumping into folks from just up the road. half way up a mountain hundreds of miles from home scenario's.. On most trips.. It's quite spooky really.

One of my favourite cycling shirts has a bunch of foxes partying in the woods pictured upon it.

Im lucky. enough to very frequently get offered hospirality by random strangers, when touring..

I think it's an upside of going solo maybe??

From Hey, come to dinner, have a drink, camp in my garden, to we're going to a gig you fancy it?? And so on..

Not sure if it's anything to do with the shirt, or what.

But not complaining anyhow.. :blush:

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
I think it's an upside of going solo maybe??
Yes, I think it is!

I notice when in my home area I see a solo tourer parked up somewhere I am quite inclined to acknowledge their presence and have a chat, Not so with two or more cyclists as this would feel like barging in to their company.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
My comment was simply that even if you find back to back centuries fairly easy, is not really a tour, it would be more like the peleton of an Audax.
There is no time to add a castle, beach, pub or wild night out into the schedule.

One wonders the definition of a "real" tour.

The OPs jaunt sounds excellent to me, my only comment would be to take the absolute minimum possible. Pooling tools and spares can be worthwhile.

Personally I like a map for unplanned route changes, I know some people find that ludicrously old fashioned.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
IMG_20190727_191857_131.jpg

Micro Adventure..

Dartmoor as it turned out.

Over the estuary then x? miles to Easdon.
Hill up and through Manaton a bit of a killer..

Definitely need a kick stand - would make these shots far more picturesque.
Rather than 'dead bike on the moor'

It's my first tour (as it is for a few of the others), so what should we be looking at for packing? Obviously spare kit, a change of clothes, and essentials.
Most of us are used to multiple long distance days in the saddle. Anything we should be mindful of?

Strikes me you answered your pwn question, however as others have said, apart from what you normally carry on your rides I would suggest a small saddlebag with some lightwieght evening wear ,change of socks and , washgear, small first aid kit.

Top Bottom