First tour- tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
"Street clothes"? Have you been to Somerset??
Having done a bit of sail cruising before my cycle touring days, I still refer to my non-cycling apparel as my going ashore gear:smile:.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Having done a bit of sail cruising before my cycle touring days, I still refer to my non-cycling apparel as my going ashore gear:smile:.

I'm afraid I tour in mufti all the time..

Padded shorts, and gloves yes.

But I can't really see the point of being 'oh so streamlined' in Lycra if I have panniers fore and aft..

Plus I quite like looking like a 'normal person' :wacko:
as soon as I'm off the bike :smile:

snorri

Legendary Member
Padded shorts, and gloves yes. But I can't really see the point of being 'oh so streamlined' in Lycra if I have panniers fore and aft..
Plus I quite like looking like a 'normal person' :wacko:as soon as I'm off the bike :smile:
I never wore padded shorts and seldom wore gloves on summer tours, but liked to have a shower at the end of the days cycling and have a complete change of clothing ie into my going ashore gear which probably only I could distinguish from the clothing I had cycled in all day^_^.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I never wore padded shorts and seldom wore gloves on summer tours, but liked to have a shower at the end of the days cycling and have a complete change of clothing ie into my going ashore gear which probably only I could distinguish from the clothing I had cycled in all day^_^.

Yes showering is nice if yr staying on a 'proper' campsite.
Otherwise a pot wash has to suffice..

For sure a change of clothes at end of day very pleasant too.. For sleeping in, and for visiting the pub.

... If yr really sneaky / organised you can rinse a baselayer through in their washroom sink..

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Generally I’ve always worn civvies for touring unlike any Audax or club rides I go on.

But I need to tell you a story about my butt. I know I’m sorry, but it’s an essential piece of touring anatomy.

I was touring round the NL last summer and my M&S kecks managed to pinch my skin somehow. Seam? Shorts? I don’t know but whatever happened I developed a saddle sore which took about 2 months to heal properly. So now I’ll wear proper padded shorts or bibs and for shorter rides I now have undergarments without a seam. Decathlon was my friend for these.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Generally I’ve always worn civvies for touring unlike any Audax or club rides I go on.

But I need to tell you a story about my butt. I know I’m sorry, but it’s an essential piece of touring anatomy.

I was touring round the NL last summer and my M&S kecks managed to pinch my skin somehow. Seam? Shorts? I don’t know but whatever happened I developed a saddle sore which took about 2 months to heal properly. So now I’ll wear proper padded shorts or bibs and for shorter rides I now have undergarments without a seam. Decathlon was my friend for these.

Undercarriage maintenance and comfort should always be a priority on tour.

If yr butts not comfy, then misery ensues.

Just like blisters when hiking, at the first sign of discomfort, stop and do something about it. .

Flat seamed gussets are a sign that God loves us cyclists, and wants us to be happy :rolleyes:

On a long tour I left my (wet) gloves behind in a French cafe. No bother, I thought and cycled on. No problem for a few weeks until I came off on a gravel road in Spain. Apart from a load of roadrash on my leg, some bruised ribs and a dislocated shoulder, I had serious skin loss and deep gashes on my hands that caused significant discomfort for weeks. Never again will I go long distance without gloves.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sadly, "proper padded shorts" are not immune to bunching or inappropriately-positioned-for-some seams. I agree with others: at the first signs of trouble, stop and deal with the pinch or whatever. Even if with others and there's no toilets about, swallow your pride, find a secluded corner and ask them to look away while you rummage or look or whatever is needed.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
On a long tour I left my (wet) gloves behind in a French cafe. No bother, I thought and cycled on. No problem for a few weeks until I came off on a gravel road in Spain. Apart from a load of roadrash on my leg, some bruised ribs and a dislocated shoulder, I had serious skin loss and deep gashes on my hands that caused significant discomfort for weeks. Never again will I go long distance without gloves.
Seems like an overreaction. It's a numbers game and IMO the probability of coming off is tiny. While I try to avoid it and would heartily recommend gloves or mitts in general and not only touring (not least that it's easier to wash them than grips or tape), I'm still going to ride even if I forget or for some reason can't wear them.

jay clock

Massive member
Only if you want to be one of Zuckerberg's suckers and also believe you can get a data connection everywhere.
I have cycled full length of UK, France and Spain and only had about 40 miles of no data. and wifi very easy to find. In an emergency ask a passer by to share a hotspot . It is a bit like someone I knew years back who insisted on a car with a starting handle in case the starter motor failed

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have cycled full length of UK, France and Spain and only had about 40 miles of no data. and wifi very easy to find. In an emergency ask a passer by to share a hotspot . It is a bit like someone I knew years back who insisted on a car with a starting handle in case the starter motor failed

You may well have done but there are still plenty of locations without a phone signal let alone data. Cycling from one end to the other wouldn't reveal them nor touch much of the 256,000 miles of roads just in the UK.

It is mistake many make to assume a signal can be obtained everywhere on the road network. You can't.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm afraid I tour in mufti all the time..

Padded shorts, and gloves yes.

But I can't really see the point of being 'oh so streamlined' in Lycra if I have panniers fore and aft..

Plus I quite like looking like a 'normal person' :wacko:
as soon as I'm off the bike :smile:

I generally tour in my club jersey or another cycle jersey. I always wear bib shorts. It's nothing to do with being aero but everything to do with comfort. I think it's simply what I'm used. I recognise it's different strokes for different folks.

Wearing a club jersey I find is a great way for people to start a conversation. I once had a guy drive by, slow and flag me down. He was from my area, recognised the shirt and asked if I needed lunch or somewhere to stay.

I was in France about 500 miles from the Channel.

Top Bottom