First trainer? Smart or Manual? Can you change resistance using gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jase_31

Regular
Hi,

Looking buy a smart trainer to use with my hybrid. I probably will want to use an app zwift or similar? Do I need a smart trainer, or manual. On a smart the resesitance will change automatically - but if I use a manual do I just change the resitance using the level (like a spin bike) - or can I just change gearing? Any advice on what to get?

Dan77

A smart trainer will change resistance with the terrain on software like Zwift. A basic turbo trainer won't. It will just work on your power, effectively making the hills no more difficult than the flats. It's better to have a smart trainer if you want to use interactive software like that but it depends on your budget.

Also, worth looking at whether your bike will work on them. My direct drive trainer (Elite Suito) needs at least a 9 speed cassette I believe. Worth checking the specs of each. That wouldn't matter with a wheel on trainer.

CXRAndy

Guru
Buy a smart trainer and a good one. The whole Zwift setup experience is much nicer when resistance and accurate power readings give you a real feel with speed and competition

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It depends upon what you want to use if for. I bought a dumb trainer first for Zwift following a very badly broken spine, but quickly moved to a Smart Trainer. I don't use it loads as I perfer to be outside, but the Tacx T2240 is a good starting point at £200. Mine's been going strong for 4 1/2 years. Factor in fans, a device to use Zwift on, etc etc and it adds up £'s. The expensive trainers are better, but it depends upon how much time you want to spend on it, and many are the cost of a bike.

Think about your budget. Yor may have to change the rear tyre if it's not smooth - see how it rolls first and if it's rough you'll need another tyre. I've not bothered with a turbo tyre - had the same £15 tyre on my turbo for the 4 1/2 years with little wear. I now have a dedicated PC with 2 x 23" screens for Zwifting - just saves time as a bike is set up for zwift, and I just switch on, and I'm off.

What's your budget ?. Zwift adds £12.99 a month on, but you can cancel over the summer if you wish.

If you've got the money and plan to spend a decent amount of time on the trainer go Smart. You can rig up a dumb trainer to talk to the likes of Zwift but it's one way communication, if you want experience the virtual feedback you have to go smart.

FWIW I didn't like the Tronlike graphics of Zwift and the constant need to press buttons (I'm only just getting my feeling back in my fingers post chemo, that aside with sweaty fingers and sweat covered glasses I don't fancy it anyway) 👍

Nebulous

Guru
I do both.

I’ve a basic turbo I use with zwift, it feels smoother and helps practice a smooth cadence. You need a speed sensor and a cadence sensor, zwift tells you what resistance level to set and you leave it there. I also have a heart rate monitor. When I come to one of the sprints I go into my highest gear and go for it. My bike has a limited gear range and even in the highest gear I spin out.

I also have a tacx flux, which is a mid-range wheel off smart trainer. It alters resistance on hills and gives a better overall experience. I turn out more power on the sprints than I do on the dumb turbo. I use a much better bike on it, but don’t need to change gears a great deal. It is much better for training sessions as it will adjust resistance for you - to keep at 70% of ftp for instance.

I've happily used a dumb trainer for years. I'm not bothered about the resistance not changing. It's a distraction for me. I'm only interested in the power I'm putting out.

Top Bottom