Fish and chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
£6 for fish, chip & pea is scandalous... however, we used to spend a lot of school holidays in Chaddesden near Derby and I remember mum and dad always commenting on how pricey the fish was there. Currently around £4.50 for fish chip & pea in my neck of the woods.

Nebulous

Guru
The thought of fish and chips always appeals, but the reality is so often deeply disappointing around Glasgow. A couple of weeks ago however, en route to Kintyre, we stopped at Mr Pia's in Inverary and what a difference. The fish, haddock is the traditional choice in Scotland, was cooked freshly to order and the portions very generous. It fair restored my faith, at least for for the next few months.

We were there a year ago, during tattie holidays, and they were good, they were also very pricy!

Pauluk

I've been avoiding fish and chips for a long time now since I've been watching my weight and because they are bloody awful where I live. On holiday recently on the North Yorkshire Moors we had fish and chips in a small cafe over the road from the Pickering railway station and they were fantastic. They were battered and cooked to order, not greasy and the fish was out of this world by today's standards. Yum.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Anyone near York should try them from Osbaldwick chip shop. Guy there's an ex forces chef, and rightly very proud of his fare.

Captain's table at Slaithwaite is our local favourite. Decent portions and a good sized piece of fish.

Davidc

Guru
compo is right - that Aldeburgh chippie is amazingly good.

Another is the one at Budleigh Salterton (Devon)

Fish and chips (cooked in vegetable oil) is one of the 'occasional' items on the list since I had my heart attack, and they're occasions I enjoy lots.

simon.r

Person
I've been avoiding fish and chips for a long time now since I've been watching my weight and because they are bloody awful where I live.

Grimsby Fisheries on the Welford Road using to be great. And their black pudding was awesome^_^ I am going back 20+ years though, so it may have changed!

GM

Legendary Member
My wife subscribes (or whatever you call it) to Mark Cavendish's Facebook. He has just posted that he has just had the best fish and chips ever at some restaurant.

My wife has been criticising me because on Saturday riding to my daughter's I am going to stop at Sible Hedingham Chippies for a bag of chips and maybe a pie or battered sausage. This is to give me the energy for the last lumpy lap, and to warm me up as it is supposed to be pretty cold that day.

I have taken a great delight in telling her that if chips are good enough for Mark Cavendish then they are good enough for me. The trouble is she goes to a slimming club and has lost nearly a stone so she is feeling very self righteous at the moment!

I know the one you mean Compo, better not give them a plug, but you wouldn't CATCH me in that Restaurant!
There's another good Fish & Chippy not far from you, Smiths in Ongar. Don't like to name drop but last time I went there The Beckhams were there.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
I know the one you mean Compo, better not give them a plug, but you wouldn't CATCH me in that Restaurant!
There's another good Fish & Chippy not far from you, Smiths in Ongar. Don't like to name drop but last time I went there The Beckhams were there.

I agree. The chips were not brilliant!

Seeing Victoria's sourpuss face would put me right off my chips.

Reactions: GM
Top Bottom