Fish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
A home made smoker is pretty easy and very cheap to make. A barrel, a metal box and your wood chips of choice for smoking are all you need. I'll take some pictures of mine tomorrow.

brand

A home made smoker is pretty easy and very cheap to make. A barrel, a metal box and your wood chips of choice for smoking are all you need. I'll take some pictures of mine tomorrow.
Chips? What size? I have at least one bag chainsaw chippings.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
When did bass become all poncified and become "Sea Bass". Bass are still quite common in Cornwall but they seem to have been hijacked by celebrity TV chefs a few years ago. They are great fun to try and catch on a light spinning or fly fishing rod.

I suspect it's yet another American import. Bass always used to be just bass in the UK, while the septics need to distinguish them from Small-mouthed Bass, Large-mouthed Bass, Striped Bass etc, which are freshwater dwellers.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
When did bass become all poncified and become "Sea Bass". Bass are still quite common in Cornwall but they seem to have been hijacked by celebrity TV chefs a few years ago.

I suspect it's yet another American import. Bass always used to be just bass in the UK, while the septics need to distinguish them from Small-mouthed Bass, Large-mouthed Bass, Striped Bass etc, which are freshwater dwellers.

Marketing, innit. The rise of 'Sea Bass' on restaurant menus and in magazine recipes goes hand-in-hand with the rise of factory-farmed bass. 'Sea Bass' evokes wild ocean expanses.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That would probably work. What kind of wood though? Beech is good for fish. Don't use anything with a lot of resin: I found this out so you don't have to.
Beech or Oak are great, just soak em in a bucket of water for 20 minutes, squeeze the excess water out and chuck em on top of well lit charcoal/hardwood embers.

brand

That would probably work. What kind of wood though? Beech is good for fish. Don't use anything with a lot of resin: I found this out so you don't have to.
Mixed a lot pf Hreenheart which maybe a little dodgy but smells really nice. Tantalised softwood dry as a bone but not the best choice? May call in at a furniture maker on way to pub. See what they have got.

AndyRM

XOXO
Mixed a lot pf Hreenheart which maybe a little dodgy but smells really nice. Tantalised softwood dry as a bone but not the best choice? May call in at a furniture maker on way to pub. See what they have got.

Give it a go and see. I didn't have access to any chips so bought some bags of stuff online which were cheap and worked a treat. Pretty much anything will work and you can get some lush flavours into your fish. Chicken is also takes smoking very well, I was less successful with red meats though.

Top Bottom