Fish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Not olive oil?

Also, I read somewhere to dry skin side (if it's present, haven't checked yet lol) for 5 minutes and then take off heat and turn them over to leave other side to cook in residual heat

Ganymede

Veteran
Not olive oil?

Also, I read somewhere to dry skin side (if it's present, haven't checked yet lol) for 5 minutes and then take off heat and turn them over to leave other side to cook in residual heat
No, not olive oil! Clarified butter is even better but a faff and not totally necessary. Dust lightly with seasoned flour, fry briskly for a couple of minutes each side - which probably does mean in residual heat on the second side! This is essentially Sole Meuniere (in the manner of the miller's wife, ie dusted with flour, I know, why so whimsical!) and is the classic and perfect way to cook flatfish. And yes, start with the skin side! If skin isn't present, start with the skinned side.

I love fish, but cannot stand the thought of bones (head and other shít still being attached), nor can I cook it worth a damn.

Apart from prawn curry and peppered mackerel I tend to not eat fish as a result of this (if I find a bone in the mackerel it puts me off eating it) unless at a restaurant.

I love fish, but cannot stand the thought of bones (head and other shít still being attached), nor can I cook it worth a damn.

Apart from prawn curry and peppered mackerel I tend to not eat fish as a result of this (if I find a bone in the mackerel it puts me off eating it) unless at a restaurant.

Love prawn curry but never tried peppered mackerel. Will give the latter a go.

brand

Consider yourself lucky having a fish lady taking your orders. They certainly get you the right stuff and will also let you know when something good turns up.
Like garden peas at 33p a bag!!

brand

Only food snobs say you have to eat oyster raw. Like so many other things, that you "have" to consume in a certain way, there are other ways. For example, when on holiday, I like to have a glass of, wait for it, chilled red wine. Why? because I can and do enjoy it.

Oysters can be cooked - the best way I have found (purely personal) is to steam them with white wine as the steaming liquor. Yummity,yum,yum,yum. I do like them raw though, but I would never tell anyone that is the only way to eat them.
Not a fan of oyster to expensive relative to taste but interesting steaming in wine. Have you steamed anything else in wine??

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
When did bass become all poncified and become "Sea Bass". Bass are still quite common in Cornwall but they seem to have been hijacked by celebrity TV chefs a few years ago. They are great fun to try and catch on a light spinning or fly fishing rod.

brand

I assumed other than inshore most are factory ships.
I am waiting for flash frozen Hake fillets at around £34 a stone direct from the docks. A large group get together and buy in bulk. £34 was the highest they have paid so no actual guarantees on price. They are the proportionally cheaper fillets as they are the largest ones. Fish shops prefer smaller fillets (so I am told). Either way I am going to have at least 2 stone maybe 3. Should keep me going for while but I have no idea what I will tell the fish lady when she texts me for an order?
Opps meant Haddock

I am partial to haddock and cod but I fill up the freezer if there are good values in these 2 plus squid and tiger prawns. More into fish than meat but good pub made burgers still gets my attention. When in Scotland, its venison and wild boar - lean and great taste.

Consider yourself lucky having a fish lady taking your orders. They certainly get you the right stuff and will also let you know when something good turns up.
IMG_20150211_111713.jpg

2 Stone of Haddock fresh pole caught. £40 a stone roughly £6.30 a kilo. I assume that's a good price? And sustainable... I am a good boy! Had to cut them in half as the fillets were 500grms each. Boned but I made sure skin on. I like to refry the skin so it is nice and crispy. Half hearted effort into descaling not really sure it is necessary. Seasoned flour and fried in butter. Need to look up quite a few recipes including fish stew. Definitely going in pasta dishes. Normally use cod cheeks in pasta dishes but I think I will be using Haddock for a while!!
IMG_20150211_152212.jpg

Some of the fish halved and folded for freezing. Bought 6 stone wholesalers thought we were fishmongers and offered us a very good price on 20 stone of smoked Haddock... erhh no thanks we haven't got that many friends!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom