Fish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
These oysters look like errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :blush:

subaqua

What’s the point
Only food snobs say you have to eat oyster raw. Like so many other things, that you "have" to consume in a certain way, there are other ways. For example, when on holiday, I like to have a glass of, wait for it, chilled red wine. Why? because I can and do enjoy it.

Oysters can be cooked - the best way I have found (purely personal) is to steam them with white wine as the steaming liquor. Yummity,yum,yum,yum. I do like them raw though, but I would never tell anyone that is the only way to eat them.

I watched a programme where the spanish drank chilled red wine because that is how it should be drunk. works too

Mrs M

Guru
image.jpg

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
You probably should have asked him to fillet them too!

You can cook them whole quite easily though, and having the head on means the flavour is better. I bake a lot of whole trout and would recommend a recipe like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/seabassroastedwithro_90285.

Have a nice dinner!
I tried this one last night with ginger and lemon . Yummy ! :hungry: I can see this one going on the weekly menu and lots more trips to the fish monger ^_^

young Ed

Veteran
sounds like you enjoyed the second meal from your fishmonger trip, how was the first meal?
Cheers Ed

Family used to buy from the market and or,fishmongers. One day, we picked up a frozen pack of cod from a super market. What surprised us was that the fish tasted much fresher and was firm when ti was baked. Learnt that it was gutted, cleaned and blast frozen wtihin the trawler. Tried blast frozen prawns and squids as the next step and difference is clear.

Only head to fishmongers for Salmon and few other types but in the main, its blast frozen.

By the way, steamed Sea Bass with herbs and sliced ginger is outstanding. Just gutted but with bones and not filletted.

brand

Family used to buy from the market and or,fishmongers. One day, we picked up a frozen pack of cod from a super market. What surprised us was that the fish tasted much fresher and was firm when ti was baked. Learnt that it was gutted, cleaned and blast frozen wtihin the trawler. Tried blast frozen prawns and squids as the next step and difference is clear.

Only head to fishmongers for Salmon and few other types but in the main, its blast frozen.

By the way, steamed Sea Bass with herbs and sliced ginger is outstanding. Just gutted but with bones and not filletted.
Unless cought by inshore fishing boats all fish is flash frozen. That includes the fresh fish sold by fishmongers. As they are flash frozen they can sell them as fresh and you can freeze/refreeze them.

Unless cought by inshore fishing boats all fish is flash frozen. That includes the fresh fish sold by fishmongers. As they are flash frozen they can sell them as fresh and you can freeze/refreeze them.

Fish placed on ice or in a regrigerator onboard trawlers whether inshore, offshore or deep seas are not flash frozen or blast frozen despite they arriving at markets and at fishmongers frozen solid and kept in chillers along the way and at location. I do however agree that all these fish unless they caught close to markets are brought in frozen.

Blast or flash freezing refers to cold air pushed thru at high speed or introductions of a specific class of referigerant such as liquid nitrogen. Essentially expensive equipment that only trawlers such as factory ships can justify.

brand

Essentially expensive equipment that only trawlers such as factory ships can justify.
I assumed other than inshore most are factory ships.
I am waiting for flash frozen Hake fillets at around £34 a stone direct from the docks. A large group get together and buy in bulk. £34 was the highest they have paid so no actual guarantees on price. They are the proportionally cheaper fillets as they are the largest ones. Fish shops prefer smaller fillets (so I am told). Either way I am going to have at least 2 stone maybe 3. Should keep me going for while but I have no idea what I will tell the fish lady when she texts me for an order?

Top Bottom