Fish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brand

you have a fish lady ? I want a fish lady !
She delivers free. She now lives in Horncastle but she will deliver to Little London but not big London. She sold me 50 bags of froozen Findus garden peas 660grms at, I think 33p a pack. I Have gone of peas.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I remember the days of the small van on a Friday morning with a guy selling 'wet' fish. :biggrin:

brand

I used to get frozen cod fillet fish fingers in batter from the fish lady. Think I will have a dig about in the freezer and see if I have any left. All this talk of fish has made me feel hungry.

I assumed other than inshore most are factory ships.
I am waiting for flash frozen Hake fillets at around £34 a stone direct from the docks. A large group get together and buy in bulk. £34 was the highest they have paid so no actual guarantees on price. They are the proportionally cheaper fillets as they are the largest ones. Fish shops prefer smaller fillets (so I am told). Either way I am going to have at least 2 stone maybe 3. Should keep me going for while but I have no idea what I will tell the fish lady when she texts me for an order?

I am partial to haddock and cod but I fill up the freezer if there are good values in these 2 plus squid and tiger prawns. More into fish than meat but good pub made burgers still gets my attention. When in Scotland, its venison and wild boar - lean and great taste.

Consider yourself lucky having a fish lady taking your orders. They certainly get you the right stuff and will also let you know when something good turns up.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Inspired by this thread, bought two fillets of turbot and two fillets of plaice from local fishmonger. Due to time of year they didn't have much choice.

Im going to pan fry them, any tips?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Inspired by this thread, bought two fillets of turbot and two fillets of plaice from local fishmonger. Due to time of year they didn't have much choice.

Bit late for this particular dinner, but I reckon it's a shame to cook Turbot off the bone. For future reference, the Very Best Thing to do with the whole fish it is to cook it in what the Italians call 'crazy water' - liquid (preferably white wine) with oil and seasonings (herbs, lemon, salt and pepper, perhaps a small amount of fresh tomato) that will bubble furiously in a sealed envelope (greaseproof paper or foil) for a short while in a very hot oven, emulsifying to create a delicious sauce. Just lift the fillets off the bone and spoon the juice over.

subaqua

What’s the point
Not a suggestion for the turbot or plaice , but I did a side of salmon before Christmas and it was amazing .

Got a pin boned side , put it skin side down on foil then put sliced lemon across the top of the flesh and covered with chopped fresh dill and parsley. Then wrapped the foil so it sealed the fish in. Popped in an oven at about 170 degrees for 20 - 25 mins was cooked to perfection at 22 and just fell apart . Lovely with parley and butter Charlotte potatoes and curly Kale .

raleighnut

Legendary Member

If they have skin on score the skin diagonally at 1cm apart with sharp knife, it'll stop em curling up. other than that just salt 'n' black pepper (I like my fish to just taste of fish though)

Fubar

Guru
One of our favourite meals on holiday is to get monkfish tails from Cadgewith Cove, wrap them in Parma ham and steam them with a sliced lime and some veg - mmmm, lovely!

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2

Don't look at its mouth when you cut the head off .

Inspired by this thread, bought two fillets of turbot and two fillets of plaice from local fishmonger. Due to ti
me of year they didn't have much choice.

Flatties are sweet tasting and have a wonderful taste and yes, best is to pan fry.

Top Bottom